Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing loads due to lack of Jacketed Bullets

XDman

Well, due to Obamanomics I am looking to change bullets. Currently I use the following:

6in STI Limited

200 gr Montana Gold CMJ

N320 powder

I am thinking about changing to bullets that seem to be more available. So my question is which seems to work better, moly, or copperized? Are the moly bullets cleaner? I am going to change to a 180 gr bullet or as close as possible to that. So which bullets do you use and what is your load? I will be continuing to use n320 as the powder. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I run mostly moly, bore stays very clean. I understand that some guns do not like moly or lead bullets though. You may want to try a few of moly, copper, lead and see what your gun likes and go from there.

(Billy bullets 180 gr TC and Bear Creek Moly 180 TC, I would need to check what my powder charge was for N320.)

Edited by GuildSF4

• 2 weeks later...

In my 6" STI's I used to use MG and N320 but like you but the availability of components has pushed me to experiment/use other brands and have to say I REALLY like Bayou moly bullets with both N320 and WST very little smoke and the molys feel a little softer than MG. Have also used Precision moly with great success as well with a little more smoke but overall very good results. I'm not a big fan of plain lead, but they work and is better than no bullets........ Xtreme copper plated bullets seem to well with zero smoke although in my case they needed almost as much powder as a MG bullet.

Buy the Bayou bullets. You won't regret it. The only problem is with the Bayou bullets since they are so popular you might also have a waiting period before you get them.

I have used multiple moly coated bullets and prefer the Bayou's over all of them. The only copper coated I have used have been Xtreme and I have never had a problem when using them.

I would also invite you to give Black Bullets International a try. We plan on taking orders once again around April 8th. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the loading process for moly vs. jacketed. They are different and certain guidelines need to be maintained in order to ensure a trouble free experience.

BBI moly bullets work real well in my 6" STI, though I'm using a 165 grain bullet and Solo 1000 in my light gun. Only a little more mess to clean up vs. standard jacketed bullets, and the BBI's don't leave hardly any shit in the barrel. When I'm running a hot and heavy practice session with moly bullets I shoot a few jhp or fmj rounds at the end, and that seems to help keep the barrel clean. Moly bullets need less powder to achieve the same pf as jacketed bullets so the moly load will be a little softer. If I couldnt find jacketed bullets I wouldnt lose a bit of sleep shooting the BBI's at a major match. More than accurate enough for our needs. My normal major match load uses Zero jhps and N320.

Edited by blaster113

I have switched to Barry's plated bullets, for practice, saving my Montana Gold's for matches. I have found the point of impact to be the same but, the grouping opened up an inch and a half. I can live with that.