Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to adjust scope magnification?

window2time

I just shot my first practical rifle competition at the Tri County Gun Club in Oregon last week. After taking the rifle out of the bag to shoot my stage I was not allowed to adjust scope magnification until after the buzzer sounded and the timer started. The match director was clear during the shooters meeting, "adjust the scope on your time". So if I complete a stage at 6X while shooting at 190yds and then move to the next stage where I am shooting at 10 yds, where and when am I supposed to adjust scope magnification? Obviously I would prefer not do it while the timer is running. I feel like I am missing something simple here. Please help a noob.

Wow, that's a little different. The matches I go to allow a sight picture when you set up your rifle (and others) so that would include setting your magnification. Do you have a SwitchView or Cattail on it? If not, that is vital to getting it set quickly. Also, usually there some pause or running when going from close to far targets so on the run, hit your lever.

Anyone else see this?

Welcome to the forum!!

Edited by gng4life

I just shot my first practical rifle competition at the Tri County Gun Club in Oregon last week. After taking the rifle out of the bag to shoot my stage I was not allowed to adjust scope magnification until after the buzzer sounded and the timer started. The match director was clear during the shooters meeting, "adjust the scope on your time". So if I complete a stage at 6X while shooting at 190yds and then move to the next stage where I am shooting at 10 yds, where and when am I supposed to adjust scope magnification? Obviously I would prefer not do it while the timer is running. I feel like I am missing something simple here. Please help a noob.

w2t,

I was at the match and your understanding is absolutely correct. Similarly, if one is using an optic that needs to be switched "on", then it's probably best/easiest to turn it "on" prior to arriving at the match and leave it "on" until the last stage has been shot. I worked/competed in that match for many years, and it has some strange rules. If you want to adjust your magnification for the next stage then you are expected to do it either:

1. as you explained - after the buzzer and on the clock (procedural penalty if violated), or...
  2. at the safety area prior to going to the stage

The match has many problems. The scoring system is unlike any other practical shooting event, and can be considered "bad practice" in several respects. The match director isn't a fan of USPSA, or "gamey" techniques, and goes out of his way to be a bit different with his rules (often to the detriment of his match). On the positive side, it's the only (best by default?) rifle match opportunity within a few hundred miles.

You may do better using less magnification (6x seems way too high for any of the stages we shot last weekend - you sacrifice too much FOV). Let me know if I can help or answer any of your questions. (I won the match.)

Best,

ac

Thanks ac, that explains a lot. I was actually using an Eotech but am planning to use a 1-6x for the next event and wanted to make sure I understood the rules. The range director said that some of the targets at stage one were 190 yds and the Eotech was not working for me. I was thinking that I would have shot that stage at 6X if I could have. I understand what you mean about FOV but to this noob those little plates looked like they were half way to the moon. What magnification would you shoot those at? Thanks for the help. I placed 37 out of 52 entrants.

Scott

w2t,

I was at the match and your understanding is absolutely correct. Similarly, if one is using an optic that needs to be switched "on", then it's probably best/easiest to turn it "on" prior to arriving at the match and leave it "on" until the last stage has been shot. I worked/competed in that match for many years, and it has some strange rules. If you want to adjust your magnification for the next stage then you are expected to do it either:

1. as you explained - after the buzzer and on the clock (procedural penalty if violated), or...
  2. at the safety area prior to going to the stage

The match has many problems. The scoring system is unlike any other practical shooting event, and can be considered "bad practice" in several respects. The match director isn't a fan of USPSA, or "gamey" techniques, and goes out of his way to be a bit different with his rules (often to the detriment of his match). On the positive side, it's the only (best by default?) rifle match opportunity within a few hundred miles.

You may do better using less magnification (6x seems way too high for any of the stages we shot last weekend - you sacrifice too much FOV). Let me know if I can help or answer any of your questions. (I won the match.)

Best,

ac

Thanks ac, that explains a lot. I was actually using an Eotech but am planning to use a 1-6x for the next event and wanted to make sure I understood the rules. The range director said that some of the targets at stage one were 190 yds and the Eotech was not working for me. I was thinking that I would have shot that stage at 6X if I could have. I understand what you mean about FOV but to this noob those little plates looked like they were half way to the moon. What magnification would you shoot those at? Thanks for the help. I placed 37 out of 52 entrants.

Scott

Scott,

I didn't touch my magnification - it stayed on minimum (1.75x) for the entire match. It usually does. Optic is nothing special, nothing expensive, nothing new. (That actually applies to all my gear.) It looks like you got all your hits on stages 2 and 4 - that's a good start. If one has a good/confirmed zero and proper fundamentals (and decent eyesight helps too), a 1x (Eotech, etc.) is often not a disadvantage at TCGC PR. That said, there are certainly times (dark/foggy days, steel that hasn't been painted, etc.) when a little bit of magnification may be advantageous.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

Best,

ac

Without knowing more i think he was attempting to keep things rolling and wanted the shooters to be ready when they got to the line. If you wanted to make sure things were working etc, you would do that in the safe area. I dont think the intent was for you to have to switch power on your scope on the clock.