Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 grip reduction question

calvinc78

I have a stippled grip on my open gun and I'm not loving it... I was wondering has anyone removed the stippling from there grip and then put grip tape on it and will it stick from that point.

I have short fat hands so a smaller grip would be great for me the stippled grip seems to just me a little big and whats the best way to remove stippling? dremle with a sand paper drum?

thanks in advanced

I have not done it myself but From my 33 years of experiance in tool and die and mold making/polishing I would take off the grip panels and gently clamp in a vice that has a couple layers of duct tape on the jaws for protection. then take a #2 flat single cut file and file file from the near side to the far side while followig the contour of the grip. move the file to the next position with the slightest overlap of the preceeding postion and keep going untilyou have covered the area you want to grip tape. Repeat from the beginning and keep going till the stippling is all but gone.

Next get some 150 grit emery cloth and tare a piece that is the width of the area that you want to grip tape. duct tape the area that you do not mant to sand. Now you can hold both ends of the emery cloth and pullit back and forth across the grip like you are buffing a shoe until you have removed the stippling to your satisfaction.

Next for the side panels (if you want to reduce these and grip tape also) I would cut a piece of 3/4" plywood about 1/8" smaller on each side than that of the grip panel. Clamp the plywood on thsides in your vice. Next place the grip panel on the plywood so that it overhngs the plywood on all sides. Mark the panel screw hole locations on the ply wood and predrill holes into the plywood small enough that an appropriate size wood screw will hold in it. Place double stick tape on the plywood taking care not to cover the screw holes. Screw the grip panel onto the plywood and double stick tape. Take a palm sander with 100 grit emery cloth and sand following the contour carefuly until the

grip pattern disappears and is the thickness that you desire. Apply grip tape and reassemble.

This is my amateur gunsmithing opinion. Please if anyone with expert experience thinks it should be done differently correct my mistakes.

Depending on how aggressive the stippling is by the time you get it off the grip may be very thin. If that is the case your normal grip pressure will keep the mags from dropping free in addition to the chance the grip will crack. You would be better off trading the grip to somebody that wants a stippled one for their plain one.

I've gone through the same journey (small hands), had my grip modified with aggressive stippling and a reduction. The front strap would hurt my strong hand. Tried another grip which was reduced and had an epoxy+sand paper-like finish. I like it better but haven't really shot my open gun much since this new grip was put on.

Trading it would be your best bet. Removing enough material to get it smooth enough for grip tape to actually stick could be quite risky. Get you a stock grip and sand off the checkering to a smooth finish and you're good to go.

You actually have a few options. I don't know who did the original grip work and that will make a big difference. Once the grip has been stippled it's very hard to get a measurement for places that could cause problems because they have been thinned too much but it's not impossible. There are several guys who have done the DIY thing with good results and they spent a great deal of time doing it, far more have screwed up enough they had to get a new grip. I'd be more than happy to talk with you and see what you need in a grip. No one has been working 2011 grips longer than us and with the proven track record we have established.

It is important to get the grip fitted properly. After I had the first new "grippy" grip installed it caused a malfunction in my action. My open gun would fire off several rounds automatically. I had to send it back to Tripp who originally built the gun and continues to maintain it. Even my best local gunsmith couldn't diagnose or see the problem / imbalance with the sear after the grip was installed by the person who made the grip.

It's a FGW grip and gun.... I've already got in line with Bobby about a new metal grip when their ready... Just figured till then I'd try to bring down the stipples or remove them and go to skate tape as that's how I want the metal grip set up.

Nothing wrong with the stippling, I just like the skate tape for better for my hand. I guess I should proberly just contact Bobby and ask him

Edited by calvinc78

No waste for sure with swapping it out. You could mess it up enough where it's no longer appealing to others. I'm not inferring you would do that but I know I have seen it done before. With accessories as unavailable as they are, I would agree with just trading the grip.

Jim shanahan did my grips before. I believe I sent him a trace of my hand. He did an awesome work with my grip. He reduced it that it fit so well to my hands and stipple and painted it. He knows what he's doing! Well worth it!

i would get a new one as a backup, then try it on the old grip and see if it works, the grips seem cheap enough....... i wish i could find a nice sti grip in the VIP length without having to cut it down, will be doing that in a few weeks when it arrives.

• 1 month later...

i have removed stippling by creating an attachment with a larger flat surface. Then I ran it along the gun and melted the stippling flat. Once that is complete, simply sand till smooth, clean with brake cleaner and apply whatever you are going to do next.