Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

aftect extractor not extracting brass

open67

I have two open guns both with aftec extractors. Both have worked flawlessly till now in the one. Now it is occsionally leaving one in the chamber. Not the chamber, brass falls out. Checked the extractor, looks good and changed to new springs. Compared how tight it holds the round and it seems to hold it little looser than the other one does in the other pistol. These are bothe 38 super extractors. Have a super comp extractor for when I switch to super comp brass but have not yet. Someone suggested removing one of the springs (rear one?). Comtemplating going back to regular extractor.

I have two open guns both with aftec extractors. Both have worked flawlessly till now in the one. Now it is occsionally leaving one in the chamber. Not the chamber, brass falls out. Checked the extractor, looks good and changed to new springs. Compared how tight it holds the round and it seems to hold it little looser than the other one does in the other pistol. These are bothe 38 super extractors. Have a super comp extractor for when I switch to super comp brass but have not yet. Someone suggested removing one of the springs (rear one?). Comtemplating going back to regular extractor.

Hello ,

You said that it's not the chamber and that the brass falls out . However, have you cleaned the chamber? I suggest you to clean the chamber and try it again . Also stocton's idea to swap extractors sounds good !

Edited by kyros

If I'm not mistaken the Aftec extractor is one extractor for BOTH 9mm and 38 super/super comp. no need to " change" extractors. I have changed springs 3x and replaced the spring cap because I broke the cap at Area2 championships. Realized it after extraction / feeding problems. I always carry extra springs and spring caps. My open gun has 2 barrels (9mm and 38 super comp). I don't change extractors nor magazines. That's how Tripp built it.