Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA slide won't close on Dawson 10rd mag

USPSA1911

So I ordered a couple Dawson Precision 9mm 10 round magazines for the Rock Island 1911.

DP 1911 9mm 10 Round Stainless Steel Magazine with Tactical Standard Basepad, Black #001019

The pistol's slide won't close on these magazines. The label on the package says they're for standard magwells.

Did I order the wrong mags?

Is there something I'm missing?

I'm guessing it's something simple.

Thanks for the help!

Tim

The slide closes fine on the magazine that came with the gun, and the two Metalform 9-round magazines I purchased.

I have attached a photo of the pistol's slide. The slide won't close completely, and it's jammed. Almost as if the magazine goes into the pistol too far.

With the slide off the frame, insert all the mags - one at a time, of course - and see if the Dawson protrudes further than the others.

If so, you can always file the top of the slide stop opening in the mag to allow it to sit a little lower in the frame, if that seems to be the problem.

You might notice something else than the above, if so, post what it is and possibly one of us on the site may be able to help you.

It looks like the magazine lips are a little closer together and higher on the Dawson mag. You can try Steve RA's solution, or lowering the feed lips a little. (Changing the mag release position 'may' allow over-insertion if the slide is back, changing the feed lips may affect feeding of rounds.) Or return them for some different mags.

Yeah, I hate to take a file to a new $38 magazine.

I'm going to return the Dawson's and order Metalform 10 rounds mags. The 9 round Metalform's work, so I'm thinking the 10 round mags should work also.

Thanks for the advice!

Is this happening with the mag empty or loaded? I haven't had this specific problem before in my 9mm 1911, but the only mags I can get to hold 10 rounds and reload with the slide forward are Metalform. I haven't tried Dawson mags but I know Wilson ETM mags wont work and have heard even Tripp mags have the same problem. It seems like the springs are too long, or the follower is too big, in the others. The Metalforms have enough room for 10.5 where the others barely fit 10. If you look long enough I found a website that had them for $15, but I was too stupid to bookmark it and now I can't find it again. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

The Dawsons do sit just a bit higher. Wife has 2 9mm 1911's. Slide hits the Dawsons in her Colt, they work fine

in the Springfield. The Colt runs great with Tripps. Had some Wilson ETM's for the Colt for a while. They worked OK, but

were hard to seat with 10 rds loaded.

Edited by open17