Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Howard Leight headset question

Nimitz

I don't think you're dense, I believe you're over thinking it.

The noise reduction is always on when turned on regardless of volume/position/etc.

The volume is for the sound levels you'd hear.

Imagine this, you put in ear plugs, then you put on headphones over that, the volume of the headphones is what is variable.

Hope that helps.

Turn your headphones as high as you can to comfortably hear. They automatically protect your hearing during loud gunfire when on. The new Howard Leight Impact Pro comes with the highest electronic protection I've seen so far at 30 NRR. They are big but comfortable and I don't usually add plugs in addition to electronic headsets like I normally do. Now these won't be as handy when mounting a long gun where then I would utilize my low profile Pro Ears + plugs.

thx. I'll look into the Pro's ... it would be nice not to have to double plug if I didn't have to. Unfortuinately I already have more than enough hearing loss due to flying jets in the AF for 12 years ...

A friend of mine was an instructor for Army Freffal HALO and HAHO. They utilized custom earplugs made from a company that specialized in hearing aids. I have hearing loss as well. With other hearing protection style muffs I would combine and use these plugs I had made. With the Imact Pro I don't. Lisa Munson, a USPSA champion many times over, helped with the R&D as far as the comfort fit.