Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand new M&P 9c with the Shield Trigger

TerryYu

Just picked up my new M&Pc with a test fire date of 2/5/2013. It definitely has the Shield trigger in it and the trigger block does NOT interchange with my Pro. It looks like it has the new design barrel.

First impression is that it's got a VERY pronounced reset and the sear has been redesigned to look a lot more like the performance center sear (overtravel angle). Started off with an awful 8 pound pull but after a full disassemble and polish it's down to around 6. The reset is loud just like a Glock which addresses my main problem with the M&P platform. It's a better reset than my Pro with the Apex RAM! With some more polishing, I don't think that an Apex hard sear is required for these new guns.

Pretravel is still terrible though, it's very crunchy because of the square plunger just like before.

Will post pics and report on accuracy when it's not 11pm :)

Quick addition, is the sear spring plunger critical? I noticed that my pro doesn't have it, just the little spring underneath the sear whereas the compact tried to launch its plunger into orbit the second I took out the sear pin. The pro doesn't seem to have any problems shooting...

Edited by TerryYu

Just picked up a new 9c this week and have the same observations. The trigger is very similar to my Shield's, and quite different from my Pro and an older 9c I sold some time ago. The reset is louder and more palpable than my Pro with a RAM. The reset is very short like an Apex sear, but the break is 7.1 lbs. Pre-travel is still horribly rough, and it screams for a USB upgrade.

Got a new 9c also with the new trigger. Internally the sear block is slightly different, the pin that holds the sear in only goes in from left to right (the older ones slid out from either side). Also the sight dovetails are tighter than older guns. I put an apex dcaek and warren tactical sights (tritium front, black rear) like I have on my other 3 m&p's.

I had to file significantly on both front and rear sights, I have never had to file on a rear on the other 3 guns. The front was tighter than in the past but not too bad.

I don't think the improved reset is sear only, since it retains that feel after the apex dcaek install. Also if you remove the slide and work the trigger bar to the right to reset the trigger, there is more pressure on the trigger bar forcing it back to the left (in front of the sear) than on the older guns.

Edited by bthoefer

Good info. I just bought a warren tactical sight for it.

I went and shot it and pretty much instantly developed a dislike for the trigger so an Apex dcaek kit is going into it. It's odd that I hate this particular trigger, as I'm pretty fond of my m&p pro's trigger with the RAM installed.

I like the feel of the new trigger after the dcaek install. We'll see how it breaks in, my full sized m&p has the old trigger with the dcaek and that trigger is 4.5 lbs after 13,000 rounds on that set up. I haven't checked the pull weight on the new 9c.

• 3 weeks later...

I would imagine the longer trigger bar on the pro would have more to do with that... Reset pressure comes from near the trigger axis right? I kind of wondered if a little hair clip style spring pressing out on the trigger bar between it and the frame wouldn't be a fairly easy solution...

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the new M&Ps with the better reset have a trigger bar stamped with a small H, while the older guns with the softer reset have a trigger bar stamped with a S.

Correct, which is why I wanted to see which he had.

I have not seen a different part number for the new trigger bar. I have tried to ask brownelles and midway but haven't gotten an answer back to tell if the parts they have in stock is the old or new trigger bar.

If anyone finds a source for the new ones I'd be interested in 2.

On a different forum (m4 carbine) someone posted pictures of how the new slide stop is actually pushing on the trigger bar. I think it's the new trigger bar + new slide stop + new sear.

If anyone hears from brownells or midways about whether or not they stock the new parts, please post here - I'm a stickler for having backup parts, and don't want to keep older versions for the spare.

I'll check out the slide stop, I know it's not entirely based on the sear since the reset stays improved with an apex sear installed.

Thanks for the link to the other thread. The only difference from the new trigger bar was the pull weight gained about 1/2 lb with the new trigger. It wasn't quite as smooth either, I attributed that to the polishing and break in on the trigger bar I have been using more than anything else.

Edited by bthoefer