Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mags don't drop free

ambluemax

The only time that I have ever had issues with mags not dropping on there own is after going long periods of time with out cleaning the gun. After a while all the residue builds up and there just isnt enough free space for the mags to fall out on there own

I experienced a similar problem with my 1911 a ways back, only to discover that in the heat of competition, I was rotating the gun so I could insert a fresh magazine, before the empty mag dropped free. Once I made a conscious effort to keep the gun in position until the mag dropped, the problem went away.

One of my M&P 40's did this. Had to take a file to the mag catch and remove a little metal. Take out your mag catch and see if they drop free. If they do then just remove a little at a time. Also, adding a sheet metal screw to my mag release so I got more pressure on it helped a lot as well.

I have the same issue, but have noticed S&W is making mags with two types of different coatings. The older mags that came with the gun have a polished blued surface and those work fine. Then, I have some newer mags that have some kind of a dull looking coating that isn't near as slick or polished as the older mags. These only drop out about half way then the friction keeps them from dropping free. I haven't had time yet to see if I can modify something to remedy the problem other than polishing up the mags. I'll let you know what I find out.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with my M&P45. I have 2 mags that consistently hang up and won't drop. I took the slide off so I could watch them. With the two "bad" mags, pushing the mag release button actually moves the top of the mag to the right. If I grab the baseplate and rotate the mag slightly, it drops right out. These two are the blued mags. I have 5 others that are shiny steel, and they work every time without fail. Ideas?

I have a similar issue with my M&P45. I have 2 mags that consistently hang up and won't drop. I took the slide off so I could watch them. With the two "bad" mags, pushing the mag release button actually moves the top of the mag to the right. If I grab the baseplate and rotate the mag slightly, it drops right out. These two are the blued mags. I have 5 others that are shiny steel, and they work every time without fail. Ideas?

Sounds like the left side of the mag release is touching the mag hanging it up. You might have to take some material off of the left side of the mag release, which is the "Non-mag engaging" side.

Sounds like the left side of the mag release is touching the mag hanging it up. You might have to take some material off of the left side of the mag release, which is the "Non-mag engaging" side.

I'll check that when I get home, but it's strange that only 2 mags are affected...

I'll check that when I get home, but it's strange that only 2 mags are affected...

Why would it be strange that the two "Black" magazines have problems and the others don't? To me it sounds like the "Black" magazines are slightly different in dimensions and thus they stick where the Silver ones don't.

Why would it be strange that the two "Black" magazines have problems and the others don't? To me it sounds like the "Black" magazines are slightly different in dimensions and thus they stick where the Silver ones don't.

Maybe I'm confused...you mentioned a problem with the gun itself. My thinking was if the gun is the issue then why are only 2 out of 7 mags affected? I agree that the mags must be slightly different somehow. Thanks for the idea.