Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Offset from centerline 90 degree C-More Mount -

Blake Keiser

So I just got my new open gun, mounted the sideways c-more mount and noticed that while zeroed at 25 yds, it's printing a couple inches right at 10 yds and about 4 inches left at 50! Since I've seen this with long guns I knew to look to see if the optic was centered over the bore and it isn't. It's about 1/4" left of center.

Is this common? I can shim it or shave a bit off the surface that is mounted to the frame and I guess it isn't that big a deal... but still.

Just curious, why did you pick the sideways mount? I see people using these but dont get it, they end up with the problems you have now and then end up with problems shooting right to left blocking vision. Why not just get a standard mount and avoid all these issues? Some reason I have heard is that it puts the dot closer to the bore, ok does that really matter for how we shoot? The other, better ejection with no mount it the way why not just tune your gun better? Other then all that personally I think they look silly.

What started the 90 degree revolution was getting the 9mm major open guns to run 100%.

9x19 is such a short case and the desire to run mixed headstamp once fired brass means that the ejection will vary quite a bit.

So getting the scope out of the way solves the problem. the plus is getting the scope lower and making it more like a Limited gun for those who shoot both.

Warpspeed nailed it. The 90 mounts are considered "ugly" by many but they serve a purpose. They get the lens as close as possible to iron sights height. If you like to switch divisions that is critical to some. They also cured, for the most part, 9mm ejection issues. I preferred the upright mount for looks and I only shoot Open so when Matt built me my gun he put his offset mount on it. It may look like it would cause problems but it is a total non issue. I don't even notice the offset when shooting and it has virtually no effect on bullet impact at various distances.

As for getting the lens down low I understand it helps with extremely close shots. With an upright mounted Cmore you have to aim over top of the head on a headshot at 5 feet! That takes some getting used to.

I went to a CR Speed aim point/ cmore mount, using a cmore. It sits 3/10" higher than an allchin mount and is thinner. It allows me to run crap range brass 100 percent where the allchin was 98 percent with crap brass, although 100 percent with good brass.

The additional height has very little effect on hold over.

Edited by Supermoto

I just changed to a Cameron 90 degree mount, (testing it out) it appears to be well centered. I do like the comment about centering (left right) at 50yds though, this should minimize any difference between long and close range.

I just took a look at my 90 degree mounts (both are Quinn 2) and just looking at them with the naked eye, they look over the centerline axis of the bore. It may be off by a very slight fraction but you can't tell my looking at it.

What mount did you purchase?

I think you may have something else going on.

I did a little math and assuming bullets travel in a straight line (no wind deflection to speak of) to be off 4 " at 50yd on at 25yd and the other way at 10yd (the math says 2.4") the scope would need to be off center by 4" And I doubt that is the case.

I would start looking for things that may be loose.

Mike

At 5 feet I dont even look at the dot :-)

That's a good way to miss a 5 footer. I'm talking a head shot only with a no shoot right underneath. Yeah I use the dot.

What Kevin posted is standard practice for the clubs around here. We had 2 of these setups on the same stage this past weekend.

BC

I did a little math and assuming bullets travel in a straight line (no wind deflection to speak of) to be off 4 " at 50yd on at 25yd and the other way at 10yd (the math says 2.4") the scope would need to be off center by 4" And I doubt that is the case.

I would start looking for things that may be loose.

Mike

I think this is true. It's off .070" only and I see now that can't be enough to matter. Back to the drawing board.

Blake