Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle 9mm - how to get slide to move faster?

lksyotas

I'm running a 17lb main and a 9lb recoil spring in mine, I've only had it for 3 weeks or so but I haven't had a problem with the cyclic rate as of yet. My splits on double taps, and bill drill's are roughly .13-.15. I guess coming from a glock, you might have had the dual spring recoil assembly, you might want to check out STI's recoil master, although I've never ran one and wouldn't know what they feel like, I guess in a sense it could make your 2011 feel more like a glock.

I'm running a 17lb main and a 9lb recoil spring in mine, I've only had it for 3 weeks or so but I haven't had a problem with the cyclic rate as of yet. My splits on double taps, and bill drill's are roughly .13-.15. I guess coming from a glock, you might have had the dual spring recoil assembly, you might want to check out STI's recoil master, although I've never ran one and wouldn't know what they feel like, I guess in a sense it could make your 2011 feel more like a glock.

I'm going to hit the range today during lunch hopefully with 8lb, 9lb, 10lb, and stock 12lb? springs to compare against each other I also have to test out the new 10 round mags that I finally acquired

On a side note, anyone have advice on the mag followers? All four of the new magazines have the followers sticking far above the top of the magazine tube. The front leading edge of the follower gets hung up on the open front edge of the magazine when depressed. I have to fiddle with them to get the first round loaded. I measured the feed lips and the open end of the tube in front of the lips, both are oversize by over .010" from the specified .350-.355" per STI's webpage.

IMG_2918_zpsc539a8f7.jpg

I can ground a bit of material off the leading edge of the follower to help guide them in, and lightly hammer the lips back into spec but is there anything else I should be looking for? The factory mag that came with the gun didn't exhibit this issue.

I haven't shot the mags yet but I fear this will be an issue...

I had the same issue with the follower on 1 of the 4 mags I recently got. Did a limited test session but found no fault with the mag other than a difficult 1st round loading.

When I was shooting for Springco (not legal in IDPA) I had a lot of good results working with commander length springs in full size guns.

Where did you get that idea?

Directly from Bill Wilson @ SHOT several years ago. He told me that it provided an unfair advantage to the shooter who installed one and would prompt everyone to be forced to run one if they wanted to remain competative and that went against the grain of the sport. It didn't matter to him that in my experience it increased realiability, softened felt recoil and made the gun more manageble in long strings of fire (all good traits in my opinion). I have not gone back and addressed the issue since then and it was likely 7 or 8 years ago but I got it straight from the source at the time.

When I was shooting for Springco (not legal in IDPA) I had a lot of good results working with commander length springs in full size guns.

Where did you get that idea?

Directly from Bill Wilson @ SHOT several years ago. He told me that it provided an unfair advantage to the shooter who installed one and would prompt everyone to be forced to run one if they wanted to remain competative and that went against the grain of the sport. It didn't matter to him that in my experience it increased realiability, softened felt recoil and made the gun more manageble in long strings of fire (all good traits in my opinion). I have not gone back and addressed the issue since then and it was likely 7 or 8 years ago but I got it straight from the source at the time.

They are legal now.

Well did some back to back comparisons between the 8lb spring and the 10 lb spring. I have to say, the 10 lb felt better, the 8lb actually made it feel even slower. I wonder if it was because the weak return to battery while chambering the next round? Regardless, out of 100 rounds fired between them, I didn't have any issues with the new 10 round mags or the different springs so that was a huge plus. 300 rounds down range so far and the gun has been flawless.

I will be doing some further testing tomorrow if weather permits to see if the nose dives more with the 10 lb spring vs the 9 or 8.

I will be loading some 124's next to see if that helps also.

Watching this one. I've got the same perception of slow cycling with my edge. I can't outrun it but it just feels slow. I can feel the slide travel almost every time I pull the trigger

Edited by tnshoot

I run a 15# mainspring with a 10# recoil sprin on my STI 9mm 1911's. Trigger has been worked with little to no movement required for fire / reset. I found I had to run the 147's a little hotter to give me a good recoil impulse, which I percieve faster, but less snappy than a 124.

I also switched over to BBI bullets this year, and had to reconfigure the load.