Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally open class here I come!

kosh79

So to me there is nothing more awesome than a nice custom open gun, so before I drop 5k on a custom build I decided to purchase a slightly used STI Trubor for 9major. The owner claimed only 600 rounds thru the tube at most so I jumped.

Picked it up last night and he already had the springs I was going to use. Working up some loads tonight after work then off to get some results all the threads on here have already given me a very solid base to work from. Will post pics tonight. And some data from the range trip soon.

Welcome to the addiction..... Next it will be a new rig, bag, press, dies, another 2,000 pieces of brass, 4 sleeves of primers, cart and a new vehicle to get to the range....

BC

Oh how true that is................unending, but that is all part of the adventure.

Oh how true that is................unending, but that is all part of the adventure.

Oh yeah.....

And once you have all of that, you decide that since you are going to a "big" match out-of-state, you will need a backup gun that is a duplicate of the first one.... just in case.

Yes, I'm an IPSC junkie...

BC

Edited by BillChunn

I just started shooting USPSA in sept using a glock. Held an STI once and bought an edge that day. Now 3 months later here's another STI lol.

Sitting at work is killing me!

Same here buddy... I started in Aug shooting a XDM and a guy let me shoot a open gun a few times.... That's all it took, a short time later I was sending in a build sheet!!

Welcome to the addiction..... Next it will be a new rig, bag, press, dies, another 2,000 pieces of brass, 4 sleeves of primers, cart and a new vehicle to get to the range....

BC

Sheesh! I bought the car first, while the gun and press, components are on order! All I can afford now is these damn cookies!

I just got my first open gun... its a STI Steel Match... man does this thing shoot sweet... can't wait for the next match so i can burn down those steel plates.. oh yeah.. a new belt & set of mag holders... 4 - more mags.. a shot timer.. new range bag & cart.. --- does it ever end ??

No it doesn't end I know I'm going to want to order a custom tax time next year wife already said ok :) ain't she great lol

Anyway figured I'd take a nice pic

Got a bunch of hs6 loads to tryout with some 115 and 124's gonna see what I like best

f1a2928c-0e2f-4b48-acf9-3076705e50cc_zpsc3a91cb5.jpg

No it doesn't end I know I'm going to want to order a custom tax time next year wife already said ok :) ain't she great lol

Anyway figured I'd take a nice pic

Got a bunch of hs6 loads to tryout with some 115 and 124's gonna see what I like best

f1a2928c-0e2f-4b48-acf9-3076705e50cc_zpsc3a91cb5.jpg

Yes she is !!!!

So due to rain I decided to do some more testing with 124gr 8.4gr of hs6 just don't seem to track as well as the 115gr load I worked up

This is the 115gr mg jhp 9.5gr hs6 wsr col 1.165 avg 1513fps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGlEiESjxaw

Does this seem pretty straight forward to anyone or am I just crazy and way off seems like the dot tracks pretty well straight up and down.

Tomorow I'm heading out to check some more 124 loads from 8.4 and ill see where I stop ill let the chrony and brass tell that story

I have a FGW full size, 9-major open gun with a Schuemann 5.4" barrel and no holes. I use Montana Gold 115 JHPs at 1.165" with Fed SR primers. My current load is 9.1gr of HS6, and that gives me 1520 FPS over 2 different chronos. Also, my lot of HS6 is the "slow" lot that was talked about on the forum a while back. I'm really surprised that 9.5gr of HS6 only gave you 1513 FPS.

Having said that, you started with the load that took me about 13 jugs of powder and 3 different bullets to find :cheers: . I'm sure you will enjoy it! Make sure you try a few different recoil spring weights. Going to an 8lb from a 10lb made a HUGE difference for me. The dot lifts straight up and settles right back to the middle of the glass.

This forum gave me a good starting point on loads no doubts there I can't take any credit for that the only powder hs6 I have was stupid old it's still in cans not the plastic bottle but its still good so I'm gonna use it up while I wait I would suspect I will lighten up some when I get new powder

I have an aftec but its not had a single hiccup at 500 rounds now so i figure why change it I tuned up the ejector some and we will see if it clears the scope now