Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock for production newbie question

jmel

Trying to get my gear together to shoot a match. I have a Glock 34. My question is ...are there magazine basepads that can be used and still fit the box?? Seems to me the factory pads are a little flimsy. So far, I have Blade Tech DOH holster, CR belt and mag pouches,

Thanks

MC

If you are shooting Production, then you can only put 10 rounds in the magazines. You can load one more in the pipe when you start for a total of 11. I've dropped Glock magazines on concrete range floors and never had a basepad break.

If you are shooting Limited, then you can purchase extended basepads as long as the overall length does not exceed 141.25mm (5.561 inches). Check the rulebook as to how that is measured.

BC

Thanks, Bill. Good to know the factory basepads are sturdy.

I have another newbie question. Can the 17 rd mags be loaded with only 10 rds., or, do you have to use the 10 rd mags??

Thanks for the reply

MC

Dawson makes and EZ off basepad that does not increase the length of the magazine, is made of machined aluminum. Also taylor freelance makes a +0 basepad make of brass or derilin.

I had alot of problems at Texas State Open with the dust in my gun preventing my magazines from dropping free. Having to manually extract the magazine every reload while playing production really eats time. I have to make sure they are production legal, but I myself was thinking about the added weight of the brass taylor freelance +0 basepads.

Hi-cap mags are nice for a couple reasons. They are easier to load up with ten rounds compared to one that has a ten round capacity. It's also nice to have a high-cap mag if you are in a 10 + 1 situation where you can just put 11 in your mag and start with 10 rounds after loading your +1 at the start.

As long as you are shooting local matches your Hi caps are fine for Production. Be careful if you travel to a match in California or New York. Last I read, you could bring Hi Cap (more than 10 rounds) into California but you could not transfer them to another shooter (sell) in Cali. If I saw the propossed NY law correctly, their plan was to disallow anyone the capability to even bring Hi Cap mags into the state. That said, I'm no lawyer and I could be wrong.

• 2 months later...

So you can't have extended basepads on your mags in production?

I was thinking of dual purposing my M& pro 9 for 3 gun and production.

Likely no as it has to fit in "the box". Also, there is a weight limit in production. I've never seen it enforced, and several folks shooting production at the club level in our area run brass +0 basepads. However, having weighed my G17, I suspect that using these would put it over weight. For Glock, there isn't much wiggle room on the weight requirement - at least there isn't on mine which is bone stock except for some grip tape.

Thanks, Bill. Good to know the factory basepads are sturdy.

I have another newbie question. Can the 17 rd mags be loaded with only 10 rds., or, do you have to use the 10 rd mags??

Thanks for the reply

MC

I shoot production with my G34. 17 round mags only loaded to 10 +1 in the pipe.

• 2 months later...

I've been running the Taylor Freelance brass +0 base pads on my G34 mags for production for a couple of months now. As of yet, I have not had one get hung up in the mag well during a reload, which has happened on occasion with empty factory mags and standard base pads.

The brass plates are a bit on the speedy side for a + 0, but I think they are worth it in the long run.

Gun has to fit the box with the mag in it and make weight with an empty mag in it (28 oz. max for the G34).

My 34 barely made weight at the Area 6 match with just a steel guide rod, dawson sights and grip tape added (stock mag).