Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Press - SDB or LCT

Jackmi

Take this from personal experience. Do not consider the Lee. I have know too many people that have had issues with them and they won't fix it. In my opinion Dillon is the only way to go. Life time warranty no matter if you bought it used or new. Seriously consider the 550B. For a few extra bucks you have much more versatility and it uses standard 7/8th dies. Dillion's service is top notch.

Take this from personal experience. Do not consider the Lee. I have know too many people that have had issues with them and they won't fix it. In my opinion Dillon is the only way to go. Life time warranty no matter if you bought it used or new. Seriously consider the 550B. For a few extra bucks you have much more versatility and it uses standard 7/8th dies. Dillion's service is top notch.

And for a few more dollars get a 650. And for a few more dollars get a 1050. And then for a LOT MORE get a Camdex. :roflol:

I am a big fan of the Dillon SDB. Used to have three on the bench - one in 9mm, one in 40, and one in 45. I bought a 550 ONLY because I wanted to load rifle (sold two of the SDBs to pay for the 550).

Go Dillon and never look back. I have had friends that had the Lee presses and "all" of them now have Dillons. As one reader said consider the 550B. I totaly agree with this. The 550B can do almost any pistol or rifle. Uses standard 7/8' dies. Is faster to change from one caliber to another. Dillons warranty is second to none!

To be fair. The Lee Progressive are known to be problamatic. But the LCT is a simple turret. It's well made and very reliable. The only issue people have with it is the Safety Prime system. It sometimes need a washer under the mount to get it lined up right. Also the user needs to NOT just mash it but use a little care in pushing it forward and then down. I actually started on a LCT and after selling it to try a Load Master then 550 then LnL now 650 I bought a LCT for my seldom loaded calibers. I can load 200 rds a hour on one pretty easily using the Lee Priming system. It and the Classic Cast Singe Presses are both pretty good. Dillon is a real progressive and in another league.

My vote is for you to go with the Dillon either the SDB or the 550.....I'd lean towards the 550 if you're truly loading that many rounds and changing calibers.

Reason is because the Dillon quality and also their customer service is not matched by anyone in this industry.

WHatever you decide good luck with it and welcome to the forums!

I RELOADED HANDGUN AND RIFLE AMMO WITH A SINGLE STAGE PRESS FOR 30 YEARS, BEFORE BUYING MY FIRST PROGRESSIVE. IT WAS VERY HARD FOR ME TOO CHANGE OVER.

BUT SINCE YOU HAVE NEVER RELOADED BEFORE. IT SHOULD BE EASIER FOR YOU. MY FIRST WAS THE DILLION 550B. YOU MAY LOOK AT IT JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO BOTTLE NECK CASES AND USE STANDARD 7/8 DIES THAT YOU`LL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF FINDING. THE ONLY DIES FOR DSB IS ONLY AVAILABLE FROM DILLON.

BUT RIGHT NOW IT MAY BE WHAT OUT THERE FOR SALE. AND AVAILABLE....... JUST A SUGGESTION

Jackmi,

I started reloading a year and a half ago. My fellow shooters recommended the Dillon. I bought a used one off EBay for $200.

It is self indexing - rotates when the lever is pulled. I was worried about getting distracted while loading and forgetting to turn the shell plate

and having a double load. It has happened to others. My press then had problems with the primers and I sent it back to Dillon.

It came back new and upgraded from the 30year old parts it had on it. Dillon service is great. I have loaded about 15000 rounds on it so far.

and, luckily no problems and no double loads or sqibs. I shoot 9mm but can load 45 if needed.

Good luck.