Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Detailed" Weather Forecast


Recommended Posts

The internet is just full of sites that will give you a weather forecast, but none of them have much of any details. For example, we have a match this Saturday and every site I can find says that rain is likely. But none of them make any prediction about when and how much. If this is predicted to be late in the evening or night then it makes planning a lot easier.

Has anyone found a source that's got more detail than just 50% chance of rain?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mostly they only go out 24-48hr. I did check Weather Bug and it's only out to Fri morning right now which is about 40hr.

Surely by mid week, they at least have some kind of rough idea as to when during the day the rain is expected. I can't tell you the number of times I've been trying to figure out what I could and could not do over a weekend and decided against something then found out that it wasn't going to start raining/snowing/etc until 10 at night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try this.

Now how the heck did you get to that page? I've been looking at the base page for Philadelphia and there's a ton of stuff but nothing that looks anything like that.

-----------------------

Never mind, I found it now. There's just WAY too much on that page.

And it's bad news anyway. With all I've got going on with this match, this is the last thing I needed.

Edited by Graham Smith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.wunderground.com/

I use this. Plug in your zip code or city. Scroll down for more detail.

I farm and trade commodities. Predicting the rain to within an hour or so is essential to our operation. We're big fans of Weather Underground (see the link above), and they do give an hourly forecast. On my phone, I use their weather app, but also use the my-cast app. Both give hourly forecasts several days in advance.

Just be aware that any 12-24 hour forecast is going to be more accurate than any 48+ hour forecast. If the forecast looks good for the match tomorrow, you're in good shape. If it looks good for the match in a few days, you may or may not be in good shape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wunderground.com is proving to be a very useful tool. Wish I could say the same of their two iPad apps.

And, BTW, the weather tomorrow has now deteriorated into rain AND snow most of the day along with near freezing temperatures. So much for our first match.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And, BTW, the weather tomorrow has now deteriorated into rain AND snow most of the day along with near freezing temperatures. So much for our first match.

Makes me appreciate our indoor heated range allowing us to shoot year-round. 2" of snow predicted for tonight. We start setting up the 4 stages at noon tomorrow and then the club members shoot. Everyone else shoots on Sunday.

BC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wunderground.com is proving to be a very useful tool. Wish I could say the same of their two iPad apps.

And, BTW, the weather tomorrow has now deteriorated into rain AND snow most of the day along with near freezing temperatures. So much for our first match.

It's only important how correct they turn out to be. It seems here in Montana.. excellence would normally get a 'C' grade anywhere else.. they're terrible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was growing up in Louisiana if the weatherman said 10% chance of rain... bring your umbrella, if he said 90% don't bother...

The weathermen here are normally in the ballpark as far as snow or rain or sun... (not so much on amount they say 1" we get 2', 1' then maybe we get 1".)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...