Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 USPSA

Higgins

They aren't easy to find as Sig no longer makes them. I've got two of them and I love them. They have a Warren Tactical rear sight and a Dawson fiber optic front. Stainless steel guide rod, not the hollow out guide rod on a standard P226. Crazy accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Obviously they were meant for Production division. But with the Sig P226 X-Five All Around, that is now the gun Sig is making for Production division.

They actually came out with two models of the USPSA. One has the stainless steel frame (as mine do in the pics), and the other had a lighter alloy metal frame.

Don't mean to rub it in, but here are my two USPSA stainless steel frame models. There are a couple of Sig forums that you can check regularly, as once in a great while one will come up for sale. They don't last long when they do.

IMG-20121014-01448.jpg

Edited by JGus

Thanks for the reply JGus. I like the stainless frames even better than the alloy. Those are really nice guns! I hear the X-Five Allround has some reliability issues. Do you know how much your USPSA 9mm weighs with empty mag?

Thanks

H

Higgins, no I don't know what they weigh. They don't weigh as much as the X-Five All Around. I also own one of those and I can tell just by holding both of them. Of course the X-Five has the 5" barrel. I have to admit I prefer the X-Five All Around ever so slightly to the USPSA model. Primarily because of the longer barrel and because the model I bought (bought it used) had the trigger worked on by Sig's custom shop.

The only reason I asked about the weight is because I have doubts it will be under the 43oz mark for IDPA. I have a Stainless P220 Carry Elite and it weighs just under 41oz. It is 3.9 in as opposed to the 4.4in. It sounds like you caught the Signess.

I had one of the stainless frame model USPSA 226s and sold it after I bought my X-5 Allround. I prefer the weight, balance and sight radius of the X-5. They are excellent guns if you can find one. As noted above they are extremely accurate. My X-5 weighs 44.5 ounces with an empty mag. My X-5 has Nills wood grips that cover the backstrap. I am sure you can save a little weight using the factory grip panels. I have had no reliability problems with my gun and have not heard of anything since the extractors were changed.

I had one of the stainless frame model USPSA 226s and sold it after I bought my X-5 Allround. I prefer the weight, balance and sight radius of the X-5. They are excellent guns if you can find one. As noted above they are extremely accurate. My X-5 weighs 44.5 ounces with an empty mag. My X-5 has Nills wood grips that cover the backstrap. I am sure you can save a little weight using the factory grip panels. I have had no reliability problems with my gun and have not heard of anything since the extractors were changed.

I am a fan of the X-5. I think the extra 1/2 inch sights is a huge plus for the gun. However, they are not cheap and I would have to pay extra to get it to fit into an IDPA box and make weight. I will put it on my wish list for now!

The only reason I asked about the weight is because I have doubts it will be under the 43oz mark for IDPA. I have a Stainless P220 Carry Elite and it weighs just under 41oz. It is 3.9 in as opposed to the 4.4in. It sounds like you caught the Signess.

Oh yeah, I caught the Signess! Besides my USPSA models, here are my three X-5's (top is L1 .40s&w, middle is Competition model .40s&w, and bottom is All Around 9mm). I use the L1 in USPSA Limited Division, and the All Around in Production. I have Sherman extended basepads for use in Limited Div. that allow 17+1.

SigP226X5trio_zpsc087af03.jpeg

Oh yeah, I caught the Signess! Besides my USPSA models, here are my three X-5's (top is L1 .40s&w, middle is Competition model .40s&w, and bottom is All Around 9mm). I use the L1 in USPSA Limited Division, and the All Around in Production. I have Sherman extended basepads for use in Limited Div. that allow 17+1.

SigP226X5trio_zpsc087af03.jpeg

Those a re very nice! How do you like the 5" compare to the 4.4" for USPSA competition?

HIggins, I would have liked to pick up another stainless steel USPSA model for my collection (I pm'ed the guy too about the USPSA model!), but I'm glad you got it. You will really like it.

The Sig USPSA models come with Warren Tactical Rear sights and Dawson Fiber Optic front sights. However, the sights are 0.180 tall. I just couldn't get them to work accurately for me. SIg's are sighted in with a combat target sight vs a 6 0'clock. But, with the 0.180 tall front it still kept shooting low. So, I swapped them out with a 0.170 front sight and now its spot on at 20 yards. I've read this is a common issue with the Sig USPSA model and many swap out the front with a 0.170 or 0.160.

The sights on my X-5's are stock sights. The rear sights are adjustable. I plan on swapping out the front sight with a Dawson Fiber optic front sight. Since I took the pic above of the X-5's, I put a Dawson FO front 0.170 on the Competition model. Works great. Haven't done it yet with the L1 or All Around, but will do so soon.

HIggins, I would have liked to pick up another stainless steel USPSA model for my collection (I pm'ed the guy too about the USPSA model!), but I'm glad you got it. You will really like it.

The Sig USPSA models come with Warren Tactical Rear sights and Dawson Fiber Optic front sights. However, the sights are 0.180 tall. I just couldn't get them to work accurately for me. SIg's are sighted in with a combat target sight vs a 6 0'clock. But, with the 0.180 tall front it still kept shooting low. So, I swapped them out with a 0.170 front sight and now its spot on at 20 yards. I've read this is a common issue with the Sig USPSA model and many swap out the front with a 0.170 or 0.160.

The sights on my X-5's are stock sights. The rear sights are adjustable. I plan on swapping out the front sight with a Dawson Fiber optic front sight. Since I took the pic above of the X-5's, I put a Dawson FO front 0.170 on the Competition model. Works great. Haven't done it yet with the L1 or All Around, but will do so soon.

Thanks for the sight info. I will check the height on mine.