Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Ranger II 9mm purchased - Steel Challange build

Scramblerx

Hey all,

I am a brand new 1911 owner - or will be soon.

I ordered an STI Ranger II in 9mm - 4.15".

I have a crush on the STI Steelmaster but the price range was way out of my budget, so i picked up the Ranger. Like the steelmaster it is a 4.15".

So now i am trying to gather information to slowly build it for steel challange.

Obviously I need some mags and a holster.

Will the Steelmaster compensated barrel fit the Ranger II? is it even available for purchase? The standard trubor is for 5" models.

Any specific magwell I should purchase?

Thanks for the help.

As far as mags go, place an order and wait your turn. Everyone's out of stock but sending out orders as quickly as they get them. Brazos, Shooters Connection, Dawson and Oakhill are a few places you can to get in line with. Best of luck! :cheers:

The Dawson mags are awesome, I would order and wait.

Don't know on the comp...I use a Dawson ICE no-gap magwell, absolutely love it. The magwell goes great with the magazines.

Edited by polizei1

I noticed that Tripp research seems to have some mags in stock, but I don't mind waiting to the Dawson's.

Have a picture of the magwell on your gun?

There seems to be an arched housing and flat housing. Not sure he difference.

The arc looks a little odd to me, but I like how the magwell goes all the way around. I'll have to wait for the black to come back in stock.

I notice they sell their mags specifically to fit the ICE gap and no gap. Will the mags only work with that magwell?

If you get the no-gap magwell, you MUST use the no-gap magazine basepads. If you use the gap-magwell, you can use any basepads (and magazines). If you already have magazines like Wilson's, and want the no-gap magwell, you can buy the no-gap basepads seperately.

I started shooting SC with my son (12 at the time) using a Ranger II 9mm. Loaded low power factor and it was a great steel gun. No mods, just stock. Looking back, the only thing I would do different is change the recoilmaster for flgr. I agree, never a situation in steel challenge that erquired a magwell. I did add an SA magwell when I started shooting USPSA with it. If you really want one, go with the dawson, you will like it.

I noticed that Tripp research seems to have some mags in stock, but I don't mind waiting to the Dawson's.

Have a picture of the magwell on your gun?

There seems to be an arched housing and flat housing. Not sure he difference.

You can always call Virgil Tripp. Super nice guy and a great pistolsmith. I have had him work on two of my guns and bought several mags from him. There is no gunsmith I would prefer over him on single stack 1911's in 40 cal or 9mm guns.

I like the magwell for grip also, plus it looks bad-ass so so it is a no brainer.

I don't have any mags right now, so going dawson magwell and Dawson mags seems like a good idea.

Pros and cons of the standard vs no-gap magwell?

Well, since you don't have mags yet, I would get the no-gap, but really it's a personal preference. I know the gap would bother me, and I like the look of the no-gap more, so it was an easy decision.

ive been shooting my ranger II 9mm a lot lately, still waiting on mags from a few places, but the mags i ordered from fusion came in quick so i ordered more and they came in quick again and feed my ranger flawlessly...very happy with them

If the gun is just for steel there is no reason for a magwell period

How can you say that? A magwell speeds up reloads. SC is a timed event...faster reloads = faster time. ???????

Your not reloading in steel challenge

Ya steel challenge is 1 shot each in 5 plates. If you run and need a reload reload speed dosent matter as you already jacked the run up

You may not need to reload during the string but you certainly need to draw the pistol at the beep and the magwell, at least for me, makes that more consistent.

And a consistent grip and draw are key to the SC. Without them, you will find yourself reloading.