Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 Grain HydraShock

Padraig

Does anyone sell hydra-Shock bullets as a component? I am using as my carry ammo Federal 200 grain hrdra-shock however they are hard to find and I am getting low. Would like the ability to hand load them. I have plenty of 200gr cast swc for practice but no hydr-shock type bullets.

Edited by Padraig

Back to your original question, I don't believe Federal offers any bullets as components. There are plenty of other manufacturers who do offer their bullets as components. Hornady comes to mind first, Speers Gold Dot is also really good. Seriously, a good quality hollowpoint is all you need.

Thanks for answeing my question, Anachonism.

As far as the legal aspects of factory ammo vs reloads, I think that while it is a factor, it is over rated. If this ammo shortage continues you can bet more and more shooters will be carrying home rolled. While I have my favorite factory ammo, I will carry it. When/if I can not get any I will carry what works.

Then there are us New Yorkers that don't want the state tracking our ammo purchases under the Safe NY Act.

Thanks again,

Consider taking up bullet casting. That should really help minimize your profile to the nanny state. It's a pain in the beginning, but as you progress and learn, it gets much, much simpler. Plus you can even cast your own hollowpoints!

I do understand what the others were saying, but sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

My best wishes to you, and everybody in the occupied states.

I used to cast bullets quite a few years ago. Fun but time consuming. Still have the molds and as I am soon retiring I may have to dig them up. I can't remember what all I have but I know there is a 4 gang 452 flat nose 200 grain that always shot well. Worked good on bowling pins. Casting was fun but lubing and sizing was a pita.

I hated sizing, felt it was the devils invention. One day I realized I was at the "put up or shut up" point in casting. Either it was time to stop, or it was time to go all in. I went all in and bought a Star bullet sizer. It was expensive, but it was worth it. I'm now at the point where I can make practically any bullet I want. I buy custom moulds as cheap insurance that I get what I want, or at least what I ask for anyway. PM me your address, I send you some to play with, it's the least I can do for a guy in occupied America. I'm assuming you like 45s?

I have never seen hydrashock bullets as components. xtp's are generally available however, and make excellent SD bullets. I think speer sells gold dots as well, but I haven't tried them.

After hours of research on slow days, I don't lose any sleep over whether my SD rounds are handloads or factory (although I do generally carry factory rounds, except sometimes when camping and I'm planning to shoot a little for practice too).

The most important lesson to be learned about handloading (from the daniel bias case) is that if your girlfriend commits suicide with your handloads, you should probably pump a couple factory rounds into her from close range, just to be on the safe side regarding gunshot-residue.

I am going to piggyback on your post hope it is okay seems to fit with your topic. I just picked up a bucket of pulled Fed. 230 gr HST's and thru my research I have found that they do not sell these bullets as components. I would like to load these up for my paw-n-law but I do not have his gun available for measurements and I just sold my .45. I am guessing they will be similar to the XTP for data. Does anyone have a factory 230 HST that they can measure OAL?

If not I am thinking 1.230 with say 3.8gr of Clays under it. How does this sound? He lives a long ways away and I will not be able to crono until after I load them all, so I am hoping to make it reliable the first try. Federal's data label says they are pushing them around 890-900 fps I don't think 3.8 will be even close to that should I push it up?

He is taking a self defense class and will be shooting them out of a short Kimber, they do not need to make any PF floor.

Thanks,

Edited by Hello