Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WINNING isn't Enough

BOOST

Even though I just won a match ( level 2) , I'm still bothered by my performance . Had the wheels come off on a long course.. Being less than 20 pts away from losing , I feel that I just got lucky that the other guys screwed up also...I really like winning by a bigger margin , usually 60+ points.

Am I just greedy?

Greedy wasn't exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I read your post ... You appear to be much more focused on not losing than winning .... I notice you said " being less than 20 pts away from losing" vice " even though I blew a stage I still managed to squeeze out a win".

Also, Not sure what the point is for how many points you finish ahead of 2nd place? Who cares?

I can assure you that if a miracle were to happen and I were to win the Production division of the upcoming Area 6 Championship by .001 pts I'd be on cloud 9 for the next year .... In fact, if I were to some how be able to finish in the top ten I'd be on cloud 9 ....

I want to shoot well first, win my division/class second. If I shoot well and get third, I like it better than shooting poorly and coming in first.

I can't control what they do, only what I do.

When I win a match the things I remember are the mistakes I made, not the gap between me and the next guy. (that is if I even bother to look and the points part of the results)

I guess that's what bothering me , is " how could I be so stupid?" mistakes. I mean, this is not the first time. My accuracy don't give me much problems, it's the brain farts !!

Everyone is different, but in my book winning by alot is not as important as performing better than I ever have before. I'm fairly new to shooting, but have a life's worth of racing experience on feet, skis, bicycles and motorcycles. I have 'won' races that were entirely unsatisfying, and I have finished 20th-40th in a race that was an outstanding and gratifying performance.

I just won my first local match last weekend, and for the first time after a match I *don't* have a laundry list of specific problems to work on. Everything went according to plan, but it is just a waystation on my road to progression and improvement. Until you stop getting better, I think getting better should always be the primary goal.

Edited by motosapiens

Get over it bro..

Enjoy the win, move on..

Shit happens people make mistakes..

Even the idols come close to loosing.

Use wins to build your self esteem not to tear your self down.,

Spending time wondering "how you can be so stupid" is just counter productive..

Build your self image up, you are not some one that makes mental mistakes, you are some one that wins matches regardless of mental mistakes..

Just shoot don't over think it..

You got the chops ;)

Back when I was the biggest frog in a very small pond, I was way too concerned with not losing. The cure is simple, become a smaller frog by moving up to GM and jump into a bigger pond by going to larger matches. Your concern will then become shooting at the top of your game while constantly seeking improvements.

I have won and lost a lot of matches since 1979 when I started shooting competition. Sometimes I won when I didn't really deserve to, but the circumstances allowed it anyway. Sometimes I shot a personal best but circumstances didn't allow for a win. Most times I won or lost as one would expect to. I think it all averages out over time. Usually the times I won was when I cared about shooting well, one shot at a time. Usually when I lost I cared about winning or not winning.

Even though I just won a match ( level 2) , I'm still bothered by my performance . Had the wheels come off on a long course.. Being less than 20 pts away from losing , I feel that I just got lucky that the other guys screwed up also...I really like winning by a bigger margin , usually 60+ points.

Am I just greedy?

Although I am new to this sport I have been shooting competition for 25 yrs. I like to win like Tiger Woods. Not by a small margin but a land slide. That is not going to be easy in action pistol sports because the competitors at the top are so close to each other that one mistake will put you out of the running. The problem with wanting to win is it takes your focus off the actual shooting. So I have learned to relax and enjoy the shooting part more. I still critique myself after each stage and work on mistakes but don't dwell on them. Learn from them and move on.

Get over it bro..

Enjoy the win, move on..

Shit happens people make mistakes..

Even the idols come close to loosing.

Use wins to build your self esteem not to tear your self down.,

Spending time wondering "how you can be so stupid" is just counter productive..

Build your self image up, you are not some one that makes mental mistakes, you are some one that wins matches regardless of mental mistakes..

Just shoot don't over think it..

You got the chops ;)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy every win. To me it's not just winning, it's how I get there.... Winning by an inch is good but winning by a mile is even better. OR WINNING by shooting HANDICAP(Production gear in LIMITED or LIMITED in Open)

Looking at how far ahead you win by is a completely meaningless piece of information because it's based on factors completely out of your control .... Like who decided to show up for the match.

Pretty sure that if at your next local match the Super Squad from the Nationals for your division were the only ones to shoot besides you, you would finish in last place. Does that mean you've somehow turned into a crappy shooter?

At this point in my shooting career the only way I know what place I took in a match is when one of my buddies tells my at work the next week. The only thing I look at once USPSA posts the match results is my 'percent points shoot', percentage of As shot and my match pts percentage compared to the winner if he's a known, consistent M or GM ... Everything else is useless info to help me become a better shooter ...

Looking at how far ahead you win by is a completely meaningless piece of information because it's based on factors completely out of your control .... Like who decided to show up for the match.

Pretty sure that if at your next local match the Super Squad from the Nationals for your division were the only ones to shoot besides you, you would finish in last place. Does that mean you've somehow turned into a crappy shooter?

At this point in my shooting career the only way I know what place I took in a match is when one of my buddies tells my at work the next week. The only thing I look at once USPSA posts the match results is my 'percent points shoot', percentage of As shot and my match pts percentage compared to the winner if he's a known, consistent M or GM ... Everything else is useless info to help me become a better shooter ...

Believe me, the margin is a lot of info for me..

If I was 98% to a "Super" in a National match, I'd be doing a lot of dry-fires for the next....but if I was 75% , I'd be doing dry-fires and losing 50lbs ..... ; )

Shoot nationals and see where you end up. That would be a good indicator of where you stand in relation to the "Cream of the Crop".

This year's Nationals is a big MAYBE for me( $ and 3 kids)...... I would really like to use my slot instead of giving it away again....

"Wanting to win is a contradiction. The desire imposes a limit on your actions. There is only the shooting." -- Brian Enos. Enjoy the win no matter how you came about it. Everyone has the same chance you do. Your gun could have broken just the same, You could have DQ'd just the same. It's part of the whole thing.