Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm a Cold-Blooded Killer

rhino

This afternoon I was at the local range trying to rezero my baby AR/car gun, "Mary Alice," after getting the barrel threaded and a KKF A2TakBrake installed by Neil Keller. Our own KimberKid was on hand to keep me company and offer invaluable assistance when necessary.

At some point in the process, I was having trouble getting zeroed, which resulted in a rising irritation factor. While my rifle/scope continued to vex me, a rather chubby groundhog chose to waddle across the backstop. I turned to the Kid and asked for his opinion as to whether or not I should dispatch the aforementioned rodent with extreme prejudice, to which he replied in the affirmative.

Drawing careful aim, I pumped a round of Federal XM193 55gr FMJ jacket into the little bastich and he stopped walking. He was still moving and twitching, though, so I put a follow-up shot into him. I wasn't sure if that did the trick, but when I took a third shot for insurance, his rotund carcass popped half way into the air and fell again. He was thoroughly dead at that point.

I've never killed anything bigger than insect unless it was by accident with a motor vehicle. Now I am a blooded killer who made his bones on a rather foolhardy woodchuck. It was probably poor judgement for him to sashay across the front of the berm when I was shooting, but hindsight is 20/20.

On the bright side, it proved that my zero was pretty close.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. It is enough gun for groundhogs. Provided you can get three rounds into it.... :P

At Silver Creek you would be done on two counts:

1. One it is a conservation club and you are not allowed to shoot the wildlife.

2. Centerfire Rifles are verboten.

Now at Knob Creek Range back in the Bluegrass state you would have been given an ovation! Nice shooting Joey! Did you have it for dinner or donate it to hunt for the hungry? :ph34r:

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Doesn't matter if he walks past Joseph.

This has been done many times, but seldom talked about. One day a few years ago, we were playing with a shooter's new X2 practical when a fowl of some sort flew right into the flight path of his shot. All was well until we mentioned it in front of his wife at dinner one night who then "dispatched" his chances for a while.

I bet this could be a thread for the ages if everyone would open up and tell the truth. Exactly what is the statute of limitations on songbirds or out-of-season frogs?

There is one BE'er whose wife is pissed at him over an attempted skunk killing.

This may even evolve into "things I ran over on the way to the Nationals".

Nice shot fellow 3gunner! or Shame on you, killer.

Rhino,

Vegitarians would have died 100 years ago from starvation.

Hunting is natural - next you'll be shooting Moose on the AK tundra. While I wouldn't condone killing for the sake of killing - I say Kudo's to giving into the spirit.

Bone that sucker out - flesh the cape - eat some stew and wrap your feet in the hide at night.

JB

Aw, now I'm feelin' all guilty-like!

Troy ... a groundhog is the same as ...

woodchuck

whistle pig

moving target of opportunity

out west there is a subspecies they call marmot

It is, I believe, the second largest rodent species native to North America, with the beaver being numero uno. In South America, they also have the much larger capybara.

Punxatawny Phil is the most famous groundhog ... he's the one who either sees or does not see his shadow on groundhog day in February.

re: shooting something other than targets ...

We have no such rule per se, and there is no hunting season for groundhogs. They are considered "nuisance species."

I'm glad it was only about a 20 pounder. If it had been one of the bull 'chucks we have in my backyard, .223 wouldn't have been enough gun.

I'm pretty sure he was about to mount a charge and kill both KimberKid and me. Think Peter Capstick facing down an enraged cape buffalo on the dark continent and you may have an understanding of the true threat we faced. In fact, given that no sane animal would have been on the backstop while I was shooting, he was clearly behaving irrationally. Which means he could have been rabid, so I saved our lives twice! ;)

I had to save the Kid. Were it up to me, I might have risked the charge, but sometimes we have to do for the children. FOR THE CHILDREN!

As for extra rounds ... well ... we did do some pistol shooting after I decided to put the AR aside for a while. I can say no more!

Several years ago I was shooting in a local trap league when a crazed bird of some unkown species flew directly in front of my shotgun just as I pulled (OK slapped) the trigger. Aformentioned avian vanished in a small puff of feathers, but the damn clay pigeon got away scot free! They actually scored it as a miss. I tried pointing out the slowly drifting bits of down, but NO. Oh the injustice.

Nolan

"As for extra rounds ... well ... we did do some pistol shooting after I decided to put the AR aside for a while. I can say no more!"

Thanks Rhino-

Never know if that rodent was just playin dead. :blink:

I hope the Kid knows how lucky he was that you were there. :D

Uh oh, this could get more political than one of EricW's hate rants.  :huh:

Almost forgot, nice shot.

What would make anyone think I'm against shooting suicidal wildlife. Rhino helped out ol' Ma Nature by cleaning out the ol' gene pool. However, I am concerned that if Rhino continues in his rodent whacking endeavors that a race of invincible super-gophers could emerge...

Quail season opens tomorrow. :):):)

Trespassing is a death sentence in my book...That woodchuck knew damn well what he was doing after he passed all the "NO Tresspassing" signs on the way in, and was even given some previous warning shots. Delerious, fat, and stupid is no way to go through life. Kudos Rhino for fertilizing the berm with this disrespectful varmint. 'Tis better that he died of lead poisening than to continue his rodent rampage and potentially harm others. Besides...If Rhino somehow managed to hit him, it was definitely his time...Afterall...what are the odds??? :P

Jeff

Aw, now I'm feelin' all guilty-like!

Troy ... a groundhog is the same as ...

woodchuck

whistle pig

moving target of opportunity

out west there is a subspecies they call marmot

Must be like a Nutria. They make good gumbo, too.

:P

Troy

Rhino,

You realize of course, that luckily you took out the scout! The main force was amassing just out of sight on the far side of the berm just waiting to come pouring over, and moving under the radar, to wreak havoc on, not only your ankles, but also the ankles of the non-combatants! Maybe even innocent children! :o

You stopped a roving band of rampaging rodents bent on ruin… you’re a hero! :lol:

Ed