Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kindel for Practiscore

hitman

You mean Amazon Kindle? No, but it is an LED screen and will be tough to read outdoors without some amount of strategic shading with your body, plus I don't know what the battery expectancy would be, but I"m pretty confident it can't touch that of a Nook Simple Touch. Does the Kindle have to be rooted in any way to accept 3rd party apps?

You mean Amazon Kindle? No, but it is an LED screen and will be tough to read outdoors without some amount of strategic shading with your body, plus I don't know what the battery expectancy would be, but I"m pretty confident it can't touch that of a Nook Simple Touch. Does the Kindle have to be rooted in any way to accept 3rd party apps?

Outside reading - I thought that was what the Kindle Paperwhite was for?

• 3 months later...

Since they just dropped the price down from $99 to $79 and stopped including a usb charger with the device, I should think a long while yet, especially when the version with a built-in light just came out last year.

The CEO of B&N jumped ship and the future of the digital division is at stake. they've already announced they are going to stop doing color versions themselves and farm that out. since it was the now defunct CEO that drove the e-reader efforts in the company who knows what the future means for the NST....or the company as a whole. :blush:

I still told my club president that I expect the NST to win my scoring device battle. the good thing is that the app itself is device independent, so if you buy 8 of them you can just chug along using them and as they die you can replace them with whatever is the best thing on the market. different idea than the palm where you had to have a PALM to use the software.

seems there's some kind of root for the kindle Paperwhite model, but I don't know enough about the linux world to know if you could get practiscore running on it (I'm a M$ guy). http://tablets.wonderhowto.com/how-to/root-amazons-new-kindle-paperwhite-ereader-0139576/

I understand, but that was before the CEO quit so all bets are off. They'll continue on with the NST line, they'd be stupid not to, but that only helps us as long as they can stay in business as a company. There's also a very good chance that they carve the digital business out and sell it off because the guy that founded the business and still owns 30% is an old school brick and mortar guy. if that happens then whoever buys the digital side might do so just for the content and let the devices go extinct.

I know I come off as nook bashing and all but these are real concerns that anyone thinking of dropping a grand on nooks needs to be aware of and factor into the decision. hence the reason I posted in this particular thread, I'm interested in an Android guy (or gal as the case may be) looking into if the Kindle Paperwhite can be used in place of a NST.

$1000? That's 12 nooks with money left over for styluses and ac adapters. How big's your club? Never mind, the point is, if B&N goes casters up tomorrow, your nooks won't self-destruct along with the company. If company stability is your criteria for selecting hardware, as in the company isn't going away any time soon, you're down to Apple, Samsung, and Google, and Google outsources manufacturing of the Nexus 7 to ASUS, so how long's ASUS going to be around?

You still can't beat the the NST's combination of price, battery life, and readability. I hope someone does sometime. I'd like to see a cheap (<=$100) color e-ink REAL android tablet that runs all weekend on a single charge and doesn't cost hundreds, so that I don't have to get a nook and jab it in the side with a fork to coerce it into doing things it was NEVER intended to do, but it just doesn't exist right now.

I followed the rooting link for the Kindle PW, and it says you end up with a mini implementation of linux on the device. That's not android, so (I'm guessing Eugene?) no practiscore there.

Obviously PractiScore for Android won't work on non-android device. On the other hand nothing really stops someone to develop PractiScore for another platform, though that won't be me. :)

"Obviously". Yeah, okay.... <_< I said "guessing" because it seems like android shares a lot in terms of file structure with linux and unix. But the similarities apparently end there.

Edited by wgnoyes

Thanks gents, that's what I suspected but I wanted confirmation from the experts.

That's what I told El Prez about the nooks, they'll probably chug along for at least a few years even if b&N goes pointy bits up and by that time the entire device landscape is likely to be different. I agree the color e-ink device you describe is the holy grail of scoring devices, hopefully we see one in the next year or two as the e-ink tech matures

Edited by BostonBullit