Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VersaMax Tactical vs VersaMax Waterfoul w/Mods

edittman1

So, I can't seem to find a versamax tactical anywhere. And when I do, they are around $1500.

However, I can find a versamax waterfoul version, for about $1100 all over the place. Obviously, I would need a mag tube extension. But what else would I need to do to modify it to make it on par or better than it's "tactical" cousin?

Mag Extension

Tactical Choke (or other)

Ejector Lever

Feed Ramp Mods?

I personally don't require a scope, so a rail is pointless for me.

Anything else that is of the more basic variety? I did notice in some reviews the tactical version comes with a few butt pad options, which isn't that hard to figure out.

Maybe it's really the way to go, unless the factory version offers a lot of benefits?

Mag extension, I like the factory chokes, big charging handle, do the dremel mods you can find here, have the lifter welded (if you want), shoot the crap out of it.

The comb is replaceable. 3 heights are available from Remington. They were about $11.

Go for it!

Dave

You can do a lot with $400. If you do your own work, you can get our new VersaTube, bolt handle, bolt release and a C-Rums modded lifter for about $400 and have a better shotgun than the Tactical for the same coin.

Waterfowl is 28" correct? Most like 26" or shorter. Grabagun has Blk 26" in stock. Great starting point. I've got the tactical, but wouldn't hesitate getting a 26" length barrel. LM choke is generally a good all around one. Tactical choke came right out and will never get used. Welded lifter is HIGHLY recommended! Caught my thumb once on the clock...You don't want to do that!

Edited by FJR05

Well, I would be OK with it coming with the 28" barrel, then buying a 22"/24" barrel on the side. Then swapping out for hunting. Screw it!

That carbon fiber single tube looked killer MarkCO!I couldn't find it on any of your sig links?

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that 28" Sporstman model on GAG.com. $800 isn't bad!

How is the slug accuracy on the field versions?

I have a buddy who told me he read my entire review and then tex'd me a dozen questions answered in my thread. He later admitted that he only skimmed and looked at a few of the pictures.

http://www.brianenos...howtopic=164730

I'm just sayin...

Edited by co-exprs

Oh, definitely guilty of that on my other forum of 10 years! And I'm new to this forum!

Trying to assess if the Sportsman model or the Synthetic model is the way to go if I want to build my own. Personally, 26" is really long for me. I want 22" or 24" and cannot seem to find an aftermarket barrel if I went with either option. The Synthetic model comes with 5 chokes and fancier stock and foregrip. Not sure its worth the $200 unless there is something in the porting, etc that is significantly improved. The chokes are only $10 each and I only need a couple most likely.

So buying the Sportsman model adding the single piece mag tube 9+1 then keeping on the hunt for a 22" barrel is the way to go it appears. You're looking at $800, $200, and probably $300 to buy someone's barrel. That's $1300, but you would be able to swap barrels and have a 26/28" for trap or hunting.

Or just get a 26" and call it good. As to the grey vs black. I don't think it will make much difference in how the gun runs and you will want some extended chokes anyways. May as well save a few bucks. Had there been a black polymer model available when I got mine I proly would have gone that way just because I like custom stipling better than over mold.

How is the slug accuracy on the field versions?

I have a buddy who told me he read my entire review and then tex'd me a dozen questions answered in my thread. He later admitted that he only skimmed and looked at a few of the pictures.

http://www.brianenos...howtopic=164730

I'm just sayin...

I've read your review, I just disagree with your assessment on slug poa and the solution. The problem is in the barrel and not the mag tube.

:surprise:

Not that I know a thing about the topic, but what evidence do you have / why do you disagree?

Regardless of whether it corrects the slugs, I think the single piece tube makes a lot of sense and has a number of benefits. Not to mention the carbon sleeve is pretty trick! If you want to go real carebear, anodized end caps in colors (red for me), would be sweet!

:surprise:

Not that I know a thing about the topic, but what evidence do you have / why do you disagree?

Regardless of whether it corrects the slugs, I think the single piece tube makes a lot of sense and has a number of benefits. Not to mention the carbon sleeve is pretty trick! If you want to go real carebear, anodized end caps in colors (red for me), would be sweet!

I'm not bashing the tubes at all. I do believe they may tighten the groups, slightly. My gun shoots the same with or without the clamp. Which largely takes the tube out of the equation altogether. I've had FOUR different tactical barrels. They all grouped to a different poa, and they all grouped pretty well. They were repeatable and consistent. I've shot hundreds of slugs testing this. What I was wondering is if anyone with the field barrels have them shoot to poa.

My 26" field model is POA=POI with Fiocchi 7/8oz and hits about 4-6" right with BP Low Recoil. Both at 100yds. When I added a barrel clamp my POI shifted two feet to the left at 100yds. When I removed the clamp it was dead on again. When I installed the Carbon Arms tube it was still dead on. The only POI shift I get now is if I don't tighten the barrel nut down all the way. I have no doubt that my POI shift was due to the clamp and tube flexing the barrel. At first I fixed the POI shift by loosening the tube to give some wiggle and then reistalled the clamp with light tension. this helped, but then I had a mismatch in the tube, which caused the follower to stumble as it went by. I didn't run it that way for long as Mark soon called with the prototype for me to try. I'm sure that it would have only been a question of time before the mismatch caused a feed failure though.

I can't speak to the quality of the Tactical model barrel. I heard through the grape vine that some of the early release Tactical models had some quality jitters in rail alignment, but haven't heard any complaints since last summer. I also recently worked over a buddy's new 26" Versamax and found that the fit and finish was a little better than on the field gun I got last fall. So while I do like to bash on Remington a bit, my perception is that quality in the Versamax is improving. For instance, my gun came with a blued steel magazine tube with role formed threads. My buddies recent new gun, came with a slightly thicker walled stainless tube with cut threads. There still wasn't enough thread length and his extension still ran out from under the barrel (same as mine) but it felt stronger and more sturdy.

Just my 2 cents but I recently picked up a 28" Sportsmans model and really really like it. Now my other gun is a 18.5" Benelli M2 so I am from one extreme to another. Funny thing is on my M2 I have a Nordic plus 6 extension and the overall length of the gun is just over 45". My Versamax with a Nordic plus 7 is just under 50" overall length. For that I get almost 10" more barrel length and 11 plus one as opposed to 9 plus one in the Benelli. Plus even with everything on the Remington I'm way under $1000.00 total.

So, I noticed that the Versa Max Sportsman also comes in a super secret TURKEY model, which is only 22"! But, I can't seem to find it anywhere either. And for around $1000, it still makes sense to go with the tactical, because I believe it has the nicer barrel, chokes, and a few buttstocks. Can anyone confirm?

Otherwise, the 26" Synthetic model may still be the way to go, since it has those upgrades for about $200..

Anyway, found a VersaMax tactical at a local shop. They want $1389 for it. I have such a tough time bringing myself to pay more than I know it should go for, which is around $1150. I know, its only $200, but its the principle! I offered them $1250, we will see if they even call me back tomorrow. Otherwise, I am still waiting for a JM Pro.

It really comes down to magazine capacity. If you plan to run 8 or 9 in the magazine, go with the Tactical. If you plan to run 10 or more in the mag, get the 26". I ordered the Tactical and was shipped the 26 and was a little torqued. I tried it though and now I I'm glad I got the 26" version. Just depends on how you want to set it up.

Edited by co-exprs

So is the only difference between the synthetic and the sportsman model the stock and forend and having a set of chokes? If that's the case, 800 vs 1100 it's way better to save the coin and build up a sportsman because I can have a gun that rivals a tactical for synthetic price by building up a sportsman especially since I already have a set of rem chokes.

Sportsman: 795

Carbon arms versa tube: 220

Fiber optic sights: 30ish

Bolt handle: 30ish

Lifter:45

DIY loading port: headache but free

All said and done (not including shipping and you may find better deals on small parts):

$1120.00!!!

I think I just sold myself on doing that unless the synthetic has something way better going on it than the sportsman.

Now I got a screaming deal on my 28" Sportsman, and I am a dealer, so I paid dealer on the parts and opened the loading port up myself, but even at normal street prices on parts my total on it is $969.00

Versamax 28" Sportsman $769

Nordic plus 7 tube $70

Nordic Follower $18

Nordic Clamp $29

Nordic extended bolt release $13

Nordic extended Benelli bolt handle $25

Crums welded lifter $45

I know the Carbon Arms one piece tube looks amazing, but on a gun that cos me $769.00 spending $220.00 on a tube doesn't sound right, lol.

The sportsman model is missing the following:

- TriNyte® Barrel and Nickel Teflon plated internal components offer extreme corrosion resistance.

- Includes 5 Flush Mount Pro Bore™ Chokes (Full, Mod, Imp Mod Light Mod, IC

Might be worth $200 for that. Not sure how that coating works.

Also its not clear if i comes on the tactical model. I would hope it does, but not surprised if not.