Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TacSol 2211 .22 upper - magazine insert in a Dawson no gap magwell?

ledavatar

After hearing the TacSol 2211 .22 upper is the cat's meow I picked one up for my 1911 with some TacSol single stack mags.

My idea is to run it: 1) as a trainer for .45 single stack and 2) for our local club's USPSA style .22 matches.

So I want to get a Dawson no gap magwell (http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001583-1340725703). I'll get the Dawson basepads specifically made for the magwell for my .45 mags, but then I run into the issue of the TacSol .22 mags not being able to be seated properly in the nogap magwell.

My solution was to get another insert (the standard Ice magwell insert) when I shoot w/ the .22 upper, but I still get the issue of the TacSol magazine bases being too thin to quickly insert the mags. I'm not aware of any aftermarket mods to the TacSol magazine basepads.

Can anyone offer any solutions to this? Thanks in advance.

I have seen people JB weld on a piece of machined G10 fiberglass to the bottom. Not sure if it is somehting that the made or both a base pad and modified it for the .22 mags. I would try modifying a few differnt ones and see if that works first. You should be able to mod them and put them on with double back tape until you find a system that works. I am building a dedicated 1911 .22LR and thinking of trying a similar solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't see and forgot about this thread. Thanks for the suggestion. I guess there's no off-the-shelf solution for now.

The bigger problem is that the TacSol mags don't drop free from my 1911 (or 2011 w/ the widebody mags for that matter). I have to look for a solution in sanding the mag tube down.

Will your 2211 work with GSG mags? I have a Marvel Unit 1 .22 conversion that runs great with GSG mags, and I added some aluminum basepads from CWA since I'm running a Techwell SP magwell on my 1911 frame. http://www.cwaccessories.com/Products.html

Some minor fitting is needed to get the basepads to fit on the GSG's and it basically replaces the stock basepads. The GSG mags fall free from my 1911 as well.