Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is this Moonclip holder legal?

Agent #1911

the rulebook states:

Moon clip carrier must:

A. Be designed for concealed carry and suitable for all day

continuous wear.

B. Be worn on a standard belt of no more than 1 ¾” width that

must pass through the belt loops on the shooter’s pants.

C. Hold the moon clip with enough tension to allow it to be

turned upside down and retain it while fully loaded.

D. Either be of open top configuration that covers at least 60%

of the diameter and100% of the cartridge height and retains the

moon clip by tension and a stud that protrudes through the

center of the clip, or retain the moon clip with a snap or Velcro

closure.

CCWholder_zps5cae0ed0.jpg?t=1362959006

Same type that I have used since 2006.. I did trim the center post down to seat the moon clip a little lower..

since the rulebook does not mention how long it should protrude, do you think the stud on mine is ok? I sent IDPA HQ an email and awaiting answer. thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

The trick is to keep it on your belt...

i use duct tape on the backside from the clip to bottom of holder..seen some shooters use velcro to their uspsa belt ..seen 1 pop riveted on a belt..

From the picture, it seems that it covers 2 of the 6 spaces between the rounds. To me that is 33% not 60% of the circumference. What am I missing?

kr

It "covers" 4 rounds- 2 front, 2 back, thus it tis good to go. I use those moonclip holders and modified mine with 15cents of parts from the hardware stote. I knocked out the factory center peice, put a bolt up through middle and topped it off with a nylon nut lik is used to secure toilets to the floor. Passed inspection at nationals with no problem although he did check for the stud when he didn't see it (white on white).

I think the OP's "stud" would pass inspection.

Edited by sbcman

sbc,

I am glad it is considered legal. However, if doesn't really meet the rule as written. The rule doesn't mention covering 2/3 rds of the rounds, rather 2/3rds of the circumference which it calls diameter. Confusing indeed.

Thanks,

kr

Can anyone post a top view of this contraption?

If I'm reading the picture right, at the furthest extension of the steel, the carrier covers about 1/2 of the cartridge on the left, about half of the cartridge on the right, and none of the cartridge in the middle.

If I assume that the other side looks the same then we have on the back (towards the shooter) 1/2 cartridge, space, 1/2 cartridge covered. On the front (away from shooter) we have the the same coverage. This looks a lot to me like about 2/6 coverage, which is not even close to 60%.

At the minimum extension of the steel coverage (down near the bullet), it covers less than half of the cartridge on the left and right. This is less 2/6 coverage, and is likely what the rule writers meant when they said "cover 100% of the cartridge height." Not cover some with a little extension, but cover 100% of the height for 60% of the circumference.

Hmmm.

Yes, I know these are commonly used and pass equipment inspections at state and national matches. They just don't seem to even come close to covering 60% of the circumference.

Edited by Steve Koski

post-4535-0-64204800-1365562663_thumb.jp

2 outside are the old style ready tactical,modified on left,plain on right.. In middle is a Blade Tech holder with a tek lok belt attachment .. Of course it's ok to use it for monthly matchs.. Right?? I mean it's just monthly match and it won't hurt using this ..right?.

LOL..

Edited by GmanCdp

post-4535-0-64204800-1365562663_thumb.jp

2 outside are the old style ready tactical,modified on left,plain on right.. In middle is a Blade Tech holder with a tek lok belt attachment .. Of course it's ok to use it for monthly matchs.. Right?? I mean it's just monthly match and it won't hurt using this ..right?.

LOL..

I combined the two of them. The belt clip broke on one of my Ready Tactical holders so I cut the face off the old Blade Tech and attached the teklok to my Ready Tactical. It ain't pretty but it works good.