Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESR

dubltap

Good Morning,

Try some 180 grain bullets. I made up a 357 load for ESR with Remington 180 grain, semi-jacketed, hollow points that was not bad to shoot. The bullets are almost round nose as the hollow point is very small and the semi jacket makes for easier cleaning. That was just an experiment, mind you, I shoot 200 grain 40s or 230 grain 45s mostly, for ESR.

I did some shooting with 200 gr .357 Major in the pre-IDPA era.

Not bad.

Careful powder choice and a lower power floor would make it a reasonable exercise, especially if you just wanted to punch your card for ESR without paying for a new revolver. You could probably do it with overloaded .38 Special in a magnum gun.

I don't know what's available in heavy .38 bullets these days, I used 195 and 200 gr bullets out of Lyman molds by the old Green Bay Bullet Co.

I thought .357 mags were stout, otherwise we called them .38 specials :goof:

factory 158 gr .357 mag is very tame from my gp100, though not as nice as my powderpuff .38 loads. I was looking at this as an easier way into ESP but i soon realized that the loads would be hard on brass and my reloads would be slow because i would not be running moon clips. The OP can go the .357 route to test the waters, but IMO if your going to shoot ESR, do it with a S&W 610 or S&W 625 if you want to be competitive