Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorter 170mm mags

mikeg1005

I am just getting into open, but know the 2011 pistol.

I got some used 170mm tubes... they are older ones. I just stood it next to a new 170mm tube and it is 5-6mm shorter.

Anyone info about these mags? I played around with it...and it holds one round less than the full size 170mm. I could imagine with a long basepad there is potential to for more a good amount more capacity.

Any thoughts? Info?

Thanks,

Mike.

I have one of the 164 and some shorter ones too, they were something like 133 or 134. If they are the SV and a dull dark gray, those sound like the ones I have. I am pretty sure those are the original ones I purchased before the '94 AWB.

OPENB, when did you buy your mags?

The grey SV I got with the gun second hand. I've had it 10 years, and the original owner probably had it 5 years before that. The rest of my SV mags are the shiny stainless steel. I got lucky, when I bought my open gun, SV mags were common. So when I rebarreled it to 9mm, I already had 8 mags that I did not have to modifiy. The one STI mag I have a spacer in, but it works great.

The one STI mag I have a spacer in, but it works great.

For the indoor club matches I only use STI mags with no spacers - don't want to drop the SV mags on concrete... So far no single failure in those mags with no spacers.

For the indoor club matches I only use STI mags with no spacers - don't want to drop the SV mags on concrete... So far no single failure in those mags with no spacers.

Same here. The "old" STI double ribbed ones get dropped for the indoor matches. We try and keep the mandatory reloads to a single position and put a large piece of carpet on the floor. Some of the shooters still miss it and the mags end up hitting the concrete feed lips first .

BC

I use the SV everywhere. Can't remember having to reload after shooting a big stick on an indoor stage. We usually shoot 3 strings of 24-27 rounds each for our Monday night league, or a shorter course for the indoor stage at the monthly match.