Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Handi-Cap vs. SemiAuto

ede

I'm open to the concept in general, Craig. But again, I don't think splitting it into categories will work--just not enough of us.

The only thing I can think of is allowing "classic" 6-shot w/speedloaders to shoot minor but be scored major. I would certainly have no issue with trying that if it made more people want to shoot Revo.

I'll see all of you that are going to the revolver nationals. You'll recognize me by the Ruger Alaskan that I will be shooting in the match. Those who I am not in squad with will likely hear when I am shooting when my 45 Colt rounds are fired. I don't know how many C class competitors I'll finish ahead of, but I intend to finish ahead of a number of them. It will be a "non-competitive" type of revolver using "non-competitive" speedloaders.

Will there ever be a "strong" contingent of revolver shooters in USPSA (or IDPA for that matter)? I don't really have a good feeling about that, but I'll continue to compete using a revolver. There are a lot of good ideas being suggested, but very little in the way of a consensus among all those interested in seeing an improvement in revolver participation. Asking for the moon is not the issue, but there has to be common ground on what will be settled for.

I maintain as a current personal goal to make C class in Production using my Ruger Alaskan in the next few years along with improving my class in revolver division. If for no other reason but to show that it can be done while working on both. Think what you will, but I have never sought the "popular" way of doing things. The road less traveled is what I prefer, suffering whatever "slings & arrows" that come along with that decision.

To all I hope that you enjoy competing in whatever way you choose.

Edited by Blueridge

I'm open to the concept in general, Craig. But again, I don't think splitting it into categories will work--just not enough of us.

The only thing I can think of is allowing "classic" 6-shot w/speedloaders to shoot minor but be scored major. I would certainly have no issue with trying that if it made more people want to shoot Revo.

You have my interest with that one. Which leads me to a question. With that idea you have six shot major, and would allow 6 shots with speedloaders to shoot minor but be scored major. If someone goes out and buys a 686 or the like and gets it cut for moonclips, how would that play into that scenario? Don't get me wrong, my ears perked up when I read that and I'm not trying to throw rocks in the pond. What would be the advantage or disadvantage to just making the division 6 shot minor across the board vs.bringing in speedloaders, letting them shoot, but be scored major? In my opinion both ideas keep the division from being divided and show promise of increasing our numbers, but would one idea vs. the other make it easier for all six shooters to shoot? Or, does both ideas basically achieve the same result?

Edited by Dragon11

You have my interest with that one. Which leads me to a question. With that idea you have six shot major, and would allow 6 shots with speedloaders to shoot minor but be scored major. If someone goes out and buys a 686 or the like and gets it cut for moonclips, how would that play into that scenario? Don't get me wrong, my ears perked up when I read that and I'm not trying to throw rocks in the pond. What would be the advantage or disadvantage to just making the division 6 shot minor across the board vs.bringing in speedloaders, letting them shoot, but be scored major? In my opinion both ideas keep the division from being divided and show promise of increasing our numbers, but would one idea vs. the other make it easier for all six shooters to shoot? Or, does both ideas basically achieve the same result?

I believe Mike's concept was to keep the moon clipped guns as is; major is 165 pf, but let the speed loader guns, assuming they make minor get the benefit of major scoring. Otherwise the moon clipped gun is going to have a distinct advantage. Yes I am aware that there are some people who make really awesome reloads with speed loaders but generally they make even more awesome reloads with moon clips.

I have shot my model 19 with speed loaders in IDPA and it was fun but they have shorter courses of fire and you don't do as many reloads. That sports is, in general, more revo friendly.

-ld

I do understand Mikes logic on bringing in the speedloaders. After thinking about it I've come to the realization that at this point its apples to oranges. At least in regards to the question I had about the 6 shot minor across the board vs. the speedloaders shooting minor and being scored major. I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but I do like it. I think with all the ideas presented on this topic over several threads and posts it goes a long way in reaching a common ground for a lot of people.

Edited by Dragon11

• 2 weeks later...

Why does it matter? Do NASCAR drivers talk about how their cars aren't competitive with F1 cars on F1 tracks? I'm still not seeing, across the multiple threads, any reason why any of this matters. If you like revolvers, shoot a revolver against other revolvers. If you, for some reason, just can't cope with a revolver in USPSA, don't shoot a revolver in USPSA. I don't like shooting 1911s in any action sports, they are left-hand unfriendly, I hate the grip angle, they're expensive and hard to maintain. Guess what I do about that?

I don't shoot 1911s.

If people shot their revolvers as much as they yapped about shooting revolvers (or reasons why they don't) every match would be Memphis. There is NO WAY and NO RULE that is going to bring out revolver shooters in numbers that are significant compared to semiauto shooters, other than at dedicated matches. Six or eight, it's always going to be a heavier, more expensive, harder to shoot, harder to reload gun. If you somehow manage to triple participation, you would have 21 shooters at the best-attended match so far this year, for a salty 5% of the total shooters.

I think the real answer is this: If you want more revolver shooters, hold more revolver-only matches. Have a prize table, and have all three divisions or five divisions recognized, 8-shot, 6-shot, Open-8, Open-6, Speedloader. Kill one division at the end of the year based on participation and let whoever gets left out suck it up.

Well said Matt