Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 WC with Clays

CComeaux

I have some 148 grain wad cutters that I loaded up with 2.3 then 2.4 of Clays. Chronoed both today and neither one broke 700 FPS. The book I have lists 2.5 as the "never exceed" load for clays with 147 grain wad cutters. 2.4 just looks like such a small amount and its not even breaking 700 FPS. Am I doing something wrong here? What will happen if I crimp them more? For the record, i'm new to reloading if you haven't figured that out. ;)

Wasn't 2.5 of Bullseye the normal load for a .38special ?? I'd try the 2.5 of Clays and see what you get. Are you going for a hot load or just an accurate load to shoot. Remember, wadcutters aren't meant, or designed to go fast, just be very accurate.

Well, at 2.4 they are pretty darn accurate. I was just expecting them to be faster. I guess if they are working, accuracy wise, then I should just load them up there. If I was to load the hornady LRN that I have I could expect those to be faster?

Thanks Steve! Now I feel better running these at 2.3 or 2.4 with clays. According to the my manual, the 158LRN start at 2.8 and can go up to 3.1 with clays. This is what I will work up for some loads if I decide to shoot a few competitions this year with the wheel gun. Thanks again!