Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm reloading brass issues

Pappy1

I have been reloading with my new dillon 550 for about 3 months now. I have loaded about 1500 rounds through the press. I have noticed that the last batch of brass that I ran through that there were several bullets that were loose in side the brass. I located 14 bullets total. The brass looked normal and I ran it through the press again. Same problem, the bullets were loose in the brass. I just tossed the brass away. Has anyone experience this problem. I am very cautious when it comes to reloading and I am glad that I caught this. I have been reloading for over 30 years and never have this happen before when I used a single stage press.

Have you measured your bullets to make sure you didn't get a bad batch? If that isn't the case, can be related to your sizing die not correctly sizing your brass or your powder/expander die is set too deep (how much are you belling the case mouth?). Another potential issue, if you are over-crimping way to much, it will cause the rest of the case neck to expand and you will loose all tension on the bullet. Since you've done this for many years, I'm sure you're aware of all of that - but sometimes helps to just talk it out and state the obvious. :-) Other than your 550 being new, are you using new dies as well or the same ones?

I have seen that happen with two kinds of brass, including the .45. The wall thickness of that brass was measurably smaller. I simply tossed that brass.

Your other option is to use the U-die. It was enough to restore the tight fit in my case.

Well the only thing that I will agree with is it seems that the wall thickness was lacking on the brass. I know for a fact that I was not over crimping the bullet and the belilng of the case mouth was minimal where the bullet would just fit in. I have loaded over 1500 rounds with the new Dillion press. The press is working great. Like I said I have never seen this happen before. The brass seem to be in good shape when I inspected it but I never did considered the wall thickness. I could see where this could be the problem. I will always check my bullets to make sure that there is a tight crimp on all of my bullets. Thanks for the info.

I ran into this a while back with a few pieces of Speer .40 brass. I culled the bad brass and have not had it happen since. I think I picked up some brass that had been overworked somehow and it was very thin.