Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caracal F

I saw JJ rocking a Caracal F in .40. I have seen alot of opinions on the gun going both directions. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these? I really like the quick acquisition sites but, would love to hear more. I think this would make a neat low budget carry and maybe a little production fun on the backyard matches thoughts?

We had a bunch of them at the store I work at. I had a chance to play with both the Quick Acquisition as well as with the standard sights pistols and, personally, I was not impressed at all with the QA sight (granted that I never shot them side by side).

Their trigger are nice but nowhere near as crisp as the one on the Walther PPQ.

IMO, having this recall so soon after they hit the market speaks poorly of their attention to quality assurance. Also, there are other time tested polymer pistols in the Caracal price range. For these reasons, I would be hesitant to pick one up (especially as a carry gun).

I've got a F and a C. I really like the way this pistol feels in my hand, and the trigger. I don't care for the "fixed" back sight. The slide serrations are a little shallow. But I really love the way it feels. I shot Glocks (when there wasn't a whole lot to choose from), XDs, GP 6. I loved the M&P and have 2, and still do like them. But after spending the winter handling the Caracals, and picking up my M&P, it feel "weird" and not as comfortable. That being said, I am a little dissapointed about the recall. I should say that it has taken this long to get new guns out. The recall on the C for the slide breakage I'm a little doubtfull of. This happened in Pakistan, have read the report of what happened, and seen pictures of the gun, and really don't have enough information to fully blame this on the gun. The new .40 with the dovetailed back sight should be interesting, as it fixes one of my two complaints about them.

I fondled the QA sights. They do not have the fine tuned feel as the longer sight radius. For short distance with a non trained shooter they may help. At that distance I can just point shoot and save even more time. I think they are a solution to a nonexistent problem and a huge step back for any distance shooting.

• 1 month later...

I got the chance to shoot one awhile back and thought it was pretty nice, but the one I tried didn't have the QA sights. The bore axis argument seems to make sense to me but I didn't really get a chance to shoot it enough to see if it actually would help my performance. Here is a quick video of me shooting it if your interested