Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optimum zero distance?

WrxGuy90

Just installed the FO front site on my STI Edge, for USPSA shooting, what is the best zero distance for me to tune her in??? I was thinking ten yards just because it's a nice round number and most shots are not much further. Maybe I've just been lucky and not had to many distance shots. The furthest I've had was two poppers at roughly 15 yards, maybe 20. Any input?

If you sight in for 10 yards, you'll be very happy with most of your shooting, until

you hit a 30 yard shot.

IMHO, it's best to sight in for 25 - 50 yards, and you'll be amazed how close

you'll be at 10 yards (and 20 yards).

BUT, very important to know how it shoots at 3 yards (those pesky head shots).

:cheers:

So would you say it's best to zero at 25 yards (furthest I can go at my local range) and then just practice at different distances to see where my place of aim to place of impact is? Maybe get a little muscle memory going and know that if at 10 yarded pops up I may need to am slightly lower or whatever.

And them darn head shots get me a lot haha. I still have bad "new guy" habits of squeezing faster then I'm aiming.

it's best to zero at 25 yards and practice at different distances to see where my place of aim to place of impact is?

IMHO, that's great. And you'll be amazed that from 7 - 35 yards you probably

won't have to move your aim at all. But try 3 and 50 yards if you can.

Lot of people here (this has been discussed before) suggest sighting in for

15 - 18 yards, since that is the most common distance in USPSA - nothing

wrong with that either - but I like 25 yard better, personally. :cheers:

Thanks a bunch!!! I'll give it all a shot tomorrow. Ill make sure to bring extra ammo so I can really dial it in. Now I hope my groups are tight so I don't waste the ammo. Haha it's worth more then gold right now haha. I appreciate it again thanks

Jack, is pretty much right on. If you sight in for 25 you'll have everything covered and most rounds will be close enough from 1-25. With that said I do most of my sighting in a 15 and believe it or not I'm close enough to hit plates at 35.

I think ill sight for 15 and do a few practice shots. Then re sight for 20 and do it again and just see what I like best. I'll never know till I try I guess. I never sighted at 25 before so that will be fun

With the pistol loads we typically use for competition shooting, a 15-yard zero will allow you to use the same aiming point from pretty close stuff all the way out past 50 yards.

Generally, if it hits dead nuts at 15 yards, the bullet's trajectory will bring it back down through the same sighting plane at about 50 yards.

So the answer to your question is 15 yards.

Yea i wasn't to sure about how the loads would factor. My friend and I have been shooting pretty light so we could reload more and get more trigger time. Since we have been looking to get more serious about the sport we started loading heavier (from about a 140ish PF to a 170ish PF). No chrono has been done yet, that's strictly from the books estimated power.

With the pistol loads we typically use for competition shooting, a 15-yard zero will allow you to use the same aiming point from pretty close stuff all the way out past 50 yards.

Generally, if it hits dead nuts at 15 yards, the bullet's trajectory will bring it back down through the same sighting plane at about 50 yards.

So the answer to your question is 15 yards.

+1