Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What if I voluntarily switch from SSP to ESP... What's the big dea

NicVerAZ

This could be titled "Does division victory count more than the overall victory?" (opposite of what was asked before on this forum).

I shoot a DA/SA pistol (my GP K100) and there are times I think I would not mind starting in SA with the safety on. I see two advantages:

1- Faster fist shot

2- More accurate first shot (I am often off on my first shot, up to 3 down).

Truth be told, I only shoot one gun in IDPA (and USPSA) and it is the gun I carry.

When I carry, it is always DA. That's of course a different debate (self defense-related).

I would probably score better in ESP if I shot single action with safety only.

Another thing I would like to consider is an extended mag release, which would not be allowed in SSP.

IDPA at this point is more of a competition for me than training for self defense (yet another debate).

So, to sum it up, does division victory count more than the overall victory?

ESP scores much higher for classification than SSP. I missed Expert in ESP by 10 points, I would have made it easy in SSP. Only difference I see. I have a FNX-40 DA/SA and I'll shoot in ESP if I use it. That first DA shot sucks!!!! ESP you can started cocked/safety on.

I'm confused. You seem to be debating the merits between shooting in ESP vs SSP yet your question is which counts more, winning your Division or winning High Overall (which is not really and IDPA award). If you are high score overall it means you have also won your Divison as well as betten every other shooter in every other Division. To you question; no, high score overall is more significant than just a single Division win.

Sounds like you should practice your DA shots a little. My times between DA first shot and cocked and locked are so close I don't worry about it. I'm actually faster in DA mode under 10 yards.

I do practice it.

Edited by NicVerAZ

Sounds like you should practice your DA shots a little. My times between DA first shot and cocked and locked are so close I don't worry about it. I'm actually faster in DA mode under 10 yards.

I do practice it.

Practice more.

seriously. I know that sounds flippant, but I think it's a skill that is learned only through lots of repetition. Most of us that aren't revolver shooters don't do it enough.

I focus the sights on an electrical socket across the room during commercials on tv, and try to pull the trigger without the sight picture leaving the socket. 5 or 10 pulls at a time, 2-handed, right-handed, and left handed. Several hundred pulls in an evening.

For live-fire I do draw-and-shoot-2 from 5, 10, 15 and 20 yards. At varying distances, you'll find you need varying amounts of trigger-control and concentration (slowness, lol).

Once you get over the hump and get pretty good at it, you won't need to practice it as much, but it should still get a little attention every shooting session. One really bad d/a shot on the first stage can really set the tone for your whole match (and a crappy tone at that, as I know from personal experience).

I switched from SSP to ESP because I use a Grip Force Adaptor on my g17....an item that once was legal in SSP but was deemed illegal in a rules revision.

It was the best thing to happen to me....I find the challenge of ESP far more satisfying than SSP especially when it comes to classifier times to make Master.

All 5 IDPA divisions have their unique challenges. ESP and CDP "trip my trigger."

As far as a division vs. high overall awards are considered. Concentrate on your performance in your division and classification. As you improve the HOA thing will take care of itself.

I find the challenge of ESP far more satisfying than SSP especially when it comes to classifier times to make Master.

I only look at the overall. I don't really pay much attention to who is in what division or what class, except to mentally add a few seconds for extra reloads for CDP. Of course we only get 40-60 shooters in matches around here. I find that the same shooters seem to find themselves near the same place in the overall regardless of whether they are shooting their glock or their 1911 that day.

For the OP, shoot whatever division you enjoy the most, for whatever reason you enjoy it.

I do practice it.

Practice more.

Whatever practice I do, shooting DA will never be as fast as shooting SA on my gun. The big drawback of the K100 is its double action pull.

You need to take into consideration what someone shoots before giving any advice.

That said, I'll say dirt riding advice from you any time, mister fearless KTM rider.

Whatever practice I do, shooting DA will never be as fast as shooting SA on my gun. The big drawback of the K100 is its double action pull.

You need to take into consideration what someone shoots before giving any advice.

I admit, I'm not familiar with that particular gun. I do shoot a CZ in production, so I'm familiar in general with a DA first pull. Perhaps the k100 is significantly worse and un-fixable in that respect.

I have done a fair amount of timing and accuracy testing shooting DA-first shot vs cocked and locked first shot on my cz. Your results may vary.