Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Racer holster and STI Spartan

FNilo

I deceided to shoot Limited-10 this year so I wanted to get a new race type holster for my Spartan. Read lots of info here about race holster and deceided on the Racer. Since this holster does not have interchangeable inserts (gun specific) I ordered the one for 1911's.

So I just received the holster from CED and tried it out but there is no way my gun is fitting into this holster let alone engaging into the lock. The trigger guard is too wide to fit into the slot of the holster. I have read lots of info about fitting the removable inserts on the Racemaster but can't find anything on the Racer. I sent an e-mail to DAA regarding this but figured I would ask here to see if anyone ran into this.

Did I buy the correct holster or is there fitting required? If there is fitting required, how would I go about doing it since I can't see anyway to take apart?

Thanks for the help.

I had the same problem with my Racemaster holster and STI Trojan / SPS Falcon.

After talking to Saul Kirsch (DAA) I tried the Para-insert instead and it works like a charm.

I suggest you try the Para Racer holster.

Edited by ErikDJ

I spoke with Saul, and he is looking at an insert for my Trojan/Racemaster. I found the Para insert has still too much play (similar to the 1911 insert I had originally).

The trigger guard is too wide to fit into the slot of the holster. I have read lots of info about fitting the removable inserts on the Racemaster but can't find anything on the Racer. I sent an e-mail to DAA regarding this but figured I would ask here to see if anyone ran into this.

If there is fitting required, how would I go about doing it since I can't see anyway to take apart?

Hopefully you've heard back from DAA/Saul. If not, you will.

I have a RM not a Racer, but I believe the Racer can be disassembled to allow minor fitting. I remember reading elsewhere that the side cover pops off. Whether or not this allows one to fully disassemble the block to widen the slot for the trigger guard, I don't know.

How much widening of the block do you need?

I talked to Saul from DAA and he gave me advice about modifying the holster. He said that he has run into this problem before regarding 1911's since there are many different manufacturers. I had to take about .017 off for the gun to slide into the holster.

After that, I had to modify the lock block to fit the trigger guard. Since it was a different profile compared to my gun, I didn't get a very good fit and the gun has some play when locked in the holster. I works and functions properly, just a some slop in it.

I e-mailed Saul again and talked to him about this and he is sending me a 2nd lock block (at no charge!) for it to see if I can get a better fit.

Saul really cares about his customers. You can't get any better customer service than that!