Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cmore mount screws

warpspeed

I'm going to mount a single side cmore on my STI with a standard frame.

I have read several threads saying 5-40 are the standards but their were a couple of references to 6-32 or 6-40.

Any thoughts ?

Edited by warpspeed

The two guns that I've had have both been 5x40. It seems to be the standard. The only downside is they are a little hard to find in a regular hardware store. Shootersconnection, Brazos, etc. sells them in three different lengths. I just go longer than normal and file to fit.

All mine have started out as #5. When they strip out, they get retapped to #6 :(

I've never had them strip before but was thinking the #6 screws might be more robust. Especially with a 6-32 thread.

All mine have started out as #5. When they strip out, they get retapped to #6 :(

I've never had them strip before but was thinking the #6 screws might be more robust. Especially with a 6-32 thread.

Nope, one over zealous tightening and I was retapping those holes. The tap is easy, getting the right screws is another problem. I had to order them online. Oh well, if I ever have to do another, I've got 92 extra screws :goof:

The 5-40 is more than enough to hold the mount securely. Do not over tighten. When using allen wrenches do not use the long end for leverage to torque the mount screws. Use the short end between your thumb and fore finger to tighten them. Clean the holes an screws with a good degreaser or 91% alcohol blue loctie them and let them setup for 24 hours and they will stay tight.

The 5-40 is more than enough to hold the mount securely. Do not over tighten. When using allen wrenches do not use the long end for leverage to torque the mount screws. Use the short end between your thumb and fore finger to tighten them. Clean the holes an screws with a good degreaser or 91% alcohol blue loctie them and let them setup for 24 hours and they will stay tight.

+1

I just finished tapping four frames, three 5-40 and one 6-32. Obviously the 6-32 is larger/stronger, but the 5-40s seemed to be surprisingly strong once the 4 screws were in and tightened. I am using mounted gas pedals and they are solid as a rock. They don't move.

...And one more advantage to going 5-40 is that IF you ever did strip the hole, you have the option of going to a larger screw.

Edited by prebancolt