Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Mag Help

extremedistance

For larger capacity if you are talking about 170mm mags you can send your old 19 rounders to Jim Anglin and he will make you one 170mm out of two of the old 19 round mags which is what you show in your picture. Jim's mags run great and hold 29 reloadable rounds. Also, call Gary Smith at Caspian to see if they have a new batch of 170mm mags made from the "new" Caspian 140mm mags. They require some tuning but once you get them running they are very good and I like the quick change base pad a lot. Expect to get 28 rounds reloadable from the Caspian 170mm mags, but you might get 29 depending on the mag/follower/tuning. There is also highercapacity.com which offers 170mm mags for the Caspian, but I don't have any first hand experience with their products.

If you are talking about 140mm mags then Caspian's .38 super mags are good after tuning and addition of a Gram's Engineering spring and follower. Expect to get 22 reloadable, but you might get 23 reloadable with this set-up (BTW - getting 23 reloadable isn't hard to do). The other route is to get some Mecgar .38 super mags for an EAA Witness (P/N: MGWIT38LFAFC) and add either the Caspian Quick change base pad or a Henning H-141 base pad and Gram's Engineering spring/follower. You will have to do some modification to the Witness mag to make it fit the Caspian frame, but the mod are easily done with a dremel and some patients. With the Witness mag expect to get 23 reloadable .38 super.

There are a couple good threads on this. If you can't find them post back and I'll post the links.

Enjoy your Caspian! Gotta love the feel of steel! :cheers:

thanks guys. im new to open and had researched only STI coming into this. I never imagined I would end up with this caspian. thanks for the advice. as I move forward if I have any problems getting my mags done I will post back on here. Also, If you guys think of anything else I need post it here. I will check back on a regular basis

I have some of the EGW followers and a base pad or two (I need to check). If you are interested I'll make you a fair deal on them - 10 bucks for each base pad and 5 for each follower. Plus I have a bunch of wolff extra power springs.

PM inbound.

As Front Man said, if you add a magwell extension you need to use the longer base pad as the magwell swallows the smaller one and your reloads will suffer along with the heel of your reloading hand.

Also, if you add an EGW magwell extension rather than just rely upon a friction fit and have the magwell "walk" back on you after shooting it some you can make or buy a longer mainspring housing pin and then notch or "half moon" the magwell where the pin intersects the magwell and it will never "walk" out on you again! It might work with the Dawson, too but am not sure.

Edit: Yes, I run EGW Magwells. If I get a chance I'll post a pic of what I'm describing in the next day or so.

Edited by Bamboo

Here is a pic of a Caspian 38 stuper with an EGW magwell with Pruitt's half moon cut. I find that grip tape on the magwell helps but YMMV. The little strip on the very bottom works great to keep the gun in place during table starts and is especially helpful to prevent the gun from sliding around on the top of those danged plastic barrels which seem to be made of teflon.

post-9934-0-65124100-1362801055_thumb.jp

If you do the cut don't forget you will need to either make or buy a longer mainspring housing pin, too.

I have another Catspian with with an EGW magwell with no cut. The friction fit holds pretty well, but it will "walk" about 1/16" after about a hundred rounds or so. It is easy enough to just smack it back into place with a plastic mallet, or sometimes have used a little dab of BLUE locktite on each side in the grove prior to installation which will usually stop the magwell from moving - but does require a little more force when you need to remove it.

Just the usual suspects, you can search for .38 super or .38 supercomp and get a lot of load ideas.

A poster by the name of Cocobolo has good descriptions of his experiences with powders/bullets in 38 super and they generally parallel what I have found, also.

For open major I primarily use Montana Gold 124 or 115 grain JHPs or FMJs. The powders I like best in the gun with the holes are AA#7 and VVN350 with either the 115s or 124s (the 124 grain bullets shoot softer and are more comfortable to me, but I drive the gun faster with the 115 grain bullets). SR4756 is very good with the 124 grain bullets, too compressed for my tastes with 115 grain bullets. Also I use HS-6 as a scrimp load just 'cuz I got a bunch of it. Works fine but is a little blasty and not my first choice for .38 super.