Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm case diameter issues

robmont

I posted earlier about the variations in case diameter between the top and bottom of my remanufactured ammunition from Precision Delta. I have since discovered that my Pointman 9 doesn't like it very much. (My Beretta works fine with it). About 60% of the rounds will not chamber.....some by a lot! I was told that my reloads would also have the same characteristic "bulges" at the bottom half of the cases, when I started reloading. OK if it's just cosmetic, but am I going to have the same problem with my rounds not fitting into the Pointman chamber? I'm hoping that I can control the process enough that the match grade barrel will have no problem accepting my ammo. I know that Lee Precision makes a FCD. Will that take care of it?

My PM9 had to have the barrel reamed. It was excessively tight and way out of spec.

The EGW/Lee Undersize die (or maybe the FCD) may help in your case, but I would just have the barrel reamed and see how that helps.

Does having the chamber reamed affect the acuracy?

I am going to reloading. No more remanufactured ammo for me. It was just something that I was trying since factory ammo was getting so hard to find.

It's not exactly brain surgery, you could do it yourself if you had the proper reamer. Find a local gunsmith, who can walk and talk coherently, and that has a 9mm chamber reamer and get it done. You will have more problems with an out of spec chamber than with one in spec.

Locally? lol, no one really, lots of bubba 'smith's in this town. It may not be rocket surgery, but if they go too deep(or wide), that's bad juju. After sending my first barrel out I bought a reamer. The guys up at Snap Shots in North KC would be your best bet.

You could probably mail your barrel to Shay at Akai, or Matt Cheely both found on this forum.

I'd call Dan Wesson first and see what they said. Not sure what the warranty turn around time is with the fire and all, but definitely worth a shot. Maybe CZ in KCK would fix it if they had a reamer.