Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New York City shooters

Foxbat

A friend needs some guidance. Are there ANY limitations on the legal gun owner living in NYC in terms of his travel to matches outside the city?

Say, he wants to travel to a match on Long Island. What about the travel to a PA match?

Any hint would be welcome.

Most of the restrictions would be NYC's own restrictions.

If you're in

compliance with those, you're probably good to go

- PA's are the

least restrictive of the states you mentioned

- but even upstate NY

and LI, and NJ, have less restrictive regulations than NYC.

:cheers:

Can I go target shooting outside NYC?

A NYC carry business license is valid throughout NYS. Premise residence and premise business licenses are only valid in NYC except as indicated in the next section.

Can I go hunting if I have a premises residence license?

You must obtain a hunting authorization from the License Division to hunt in an authorized area designated by the NYS Fish and Wildlife law. Your handgun must be transported unloaded, in a locked container and you must comply with all relevant NYS hunting regulations.

Edited by Supermoto

Good info, guys, thank you! Now, to the more specific question - can the premise residence license holder take his gun to a match at the Long Island club? Would some form of approval allow him to do that?

Seems there is a little bit of conflicting info on NYC website...surprising

PREMISES LICENSE: IS A RESTRICTED TYPE OF LICENSE. It is issued for your RESIDENCE or BUSINESS. The Licensee may possess a handgun ONLY on the premises of the address indicated on the front of the license. Licensees may also transport their handguns and ammunition in SEPARATE LOCKED CONTAINERS, DIRECTLY to and from an authorized range, or hunting location. HANDGUNS MUST BE UNLOADED while being transported

Unless you can only transport to the range in NYC

Edited by Supermoto

Found this on Internet:

For those with NYC HANDGUN premises permits, you can only leave the 5 boroughs by obtaining a Hunting Authorization card. This card allows you to travel to “authorized” ranges and hunting grounds in NY State. Request the authorization card when you pick up your license.

Anyone know if a NYS club, holding a USPSA match, could be such an authorized range?

I don't know if this helps, but there were USPSA matches at:

LIPSA out in the Hamptons

At a range in Freeport (LI)

Dutchess County Practical Shooters

There are probably some good USPSA in northern NJ as well, just not that familiar with that area

• 4 weeks later...