Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

True Blue in a minor load?

Noximus03

I've done my due diligence and searched, but didn't see if anyone had tried it for a minor load. I liked the feel of a slower burning powder with my 147's, and have had great results with 7625, but thanks to the market, I'm running out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

4.3gr True Blue on 147gr RN Accura plated bullets. 1.10 OAL. 870 fps 127 PF Average

4.5gr True Blue on 147gr FP Gallant coated bullets. 1.145 OAL. 900 fps 132 PF Average

Both are soft shooting and about 3" groups at 25 yards.

True Blue is a great powder that burns clean and meters well. Works great for 9 minor. I use it with 124's for production & PCC loads.

I do NOT recommend for 9 major though - too fast a burn rate and builds pressure dangerously quick with very minor OAL changes.

I've used True Blue for minor and still do for range and practice.

Back when the shortage was in full swing True Blue was the only powder I could get my hands on when I started reloading.

Following that period of time I acquired a bunch 'cuz it worked for minor and it also works for a surprising number of other cartridges.

It is sort of a "jack of all trades" powder.  

I've loaded 38spcl, 357mag, 41mag, 9mm minor with it.

It might be a bit slow compared to the more popular 9mm minor powders but when loaded to a given power factor I have a hard time telling the difference.

Edit to add: It meters better than any other powder I have used. I've heard it said  "it meters like water". Hard to argue...

Edited by ddc
added metering feedback