Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The balance of speed and accuracy

kcobean

I feel accuracy is the foundation on which speed is built upon. if you aren't accurate then all the speed in the world won't matter when you get those D's, mikes, no shoots, etc. Even more so if shooting Minor scoring such as in Production.

another saying I've heard which seems to hold true for better scores is "move fast shoot slow". quick efficient movement between shooting positions to save time but not pushing to get those .15 splits. seeing the sights and shooting fast enough to get approximately 90% of available match points. If you're shooting all A's then you're taking too long, spraying the targets and blasting at brown then you're losing points getting D's and mikes. hard to place high in matches when you're bleeding off points.

After shooting several majors I noticed that my scores went up a bit when I focused more on efficient movement and transitions.

Edited by blaster113

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend guarantee-ing your hits, and try to pick the speed up from there. Tomasie teaches move your eyes to your next target, and then bring the sights to your eyes.

"Draw quickly, shoot carefully...a loud noise never killed anyone (...or any paper)".

DD

This is an interesting subject. Why would you think that you would have to choose to artificially create a balance between shooting speed and accuracy? That makes the assumption that in order to shoot fast you have to stop aiming, or if you are shooting accurately it can only be done while shooting slowly. This thought process is incorrect.

To be successful in this game you need good hits on target. You are only going to achieve consistent good hits on target by aiming. So shooting inaccurately isn't an option. You MUST shoot accurately all the time. The time it takes to get the shooting process done is defined by many different factors. But the universal goal should always be the never ending effort to break the shot as soon as possible. The less you waste, the sooner you can break the shot. Its really as simple as that.

Go into every practice session with a goal of "I want to break the next shot sooner" while maintaining the requirement that NOT aiming is not an option. Doing this will allow you to isolate and fix all of the "Waste" that is keeping you from breaking the shot as soon as possible.

Edited by CHA-LEE

shooting fast enough to get approximately 90% of available match points. If you're shooting all A's then you're taking too long, s

Screw that, I want 100% of the points. You don't know exactly what the fast time will be, but you know what the max points will be. Might as well focus on the obtainable goal. I certainly do not shoot 100% of the points during stage, but not for the lack of trying, but because I make errors, errors that I practice to erase.