Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock for bullseye shooting

freezingduck

So i have my trusty Glock 17 here in Norway.

I also have an SP01 Shadow.

I actually don't shoot any better with my shadow than my glock 17, and since my G17 hasn't had any malfunctions and the Shadow has had several, I choose to shoot the G17 in production.

Under IPSC rules, I cant shoot the G34 in production, so that what i have.

Sadly theres not to many IPSC matches in my area, only about 5 a year within 4 hour drive:(

There is a lot of field and 9mm bullseye competitions though.

That why I was thinking about buying a G34 to shoot these matches to stay on the same platform and use them for training for IPSC.

I allready have a 22lr match pistol for the smallbore matches:)

Is buying the G34 worth it for 25yard bullseye compared to sticking with the 17 and buying 2.000 more rds?

I know that this is hard to describe, but how big is the difference?

I am trying to test out a G34, but I only know one guy who has one, and he is on a deployment for another month:(

I'm only allowed to own a small amount of handguns in the same caliber here, and i'm also planning on buying a backup 17 and a G19, so my allowance is getting thin.

If you shoot well with your 17 as it sits, why not enter a bullseye match with it and see how it goes before committing more money to another gun? You would at least know where you stand with it, and maybe save yourself some cash along the way.

I have both and the 17 is just as accurate. The difference is the sight radius. It is easier to shoot bullseye with the longer sight radius and less room for error in the sight picture. With that said I would put a good set of wide front/adjustable rear sights on your 17 and use it before buying a 34.

Not exactly the same, but I have a G22 and two G35's. Bone stock, the G22 grouped better bench rested than either of the G35's. I wouldn't count on a G34 being more accurate than a G17, all other things equal.

I have both. Both are fine for 25 yards sustained and rapid fire conventional pistol. I shoot the 17 a little better than the 34. They are about the same accuracy when shot off sandbags.

Neither will hold the 10 ring on the 50 yard slow fire target or reduced scale equivalent.

Sticking with the 17 and 2000 more rounds practice ammo will likely yield the best resultsmofmthe choices you offer.

A David Sams 1911 or Beretta 92 might be the best money spent on a new pistol for Bullseye under NRA Conventional Pistol Rules. There are other equally good builders, like Shawn Schoomaker at Quantico. Both of these guys built for their respective service teams. If you decide to go that route, make sure younger a guy that builds for Bullseye.

-john

Edited by practical_man

I have both and can shoot my G17 more accurately than the G34. The G17 has target sights (wide black front and adjustable target rear), while the G34 has a fiberoptic front. I agree with the posts above and would recommend getting the best sights for bullseye and using the 17. I actually shoot a G36 (sub-compact .45) more accurately at 25 yards than any of my other Glocks, primarily due to a phenomenal trigger that I have not been able to duplicate in the others.