Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Media life for cleaning lube

ihocky2

I am gearing up for loading 223 and have one question I have been having a hard time finding an answer for. I have loaded rifle brass for hunting for a long time and use One-Shot for case lube and have always just wiped it off with a rag. For 20-100 cases max that is no big deal. For 2000-3000 cases it is a problem. Right now my plan is to tumble, size/decap, chamfer/de-burr, then tumble again to remove the lube. How long should I expect the media to last for removing the lube before all it does is reapply the lube to the cases? I guess as a second question, would it help to add mineral spirits?

If you use corn cob to remove the lube, assuming you haven't been too liberal in the application, it should last quite awhile. It's not very difficult to tell when it's had enough as the cases will then come out still feeling slightly greasy. The corn cob isn't too expensive so it is a minimal expense sort of item.

I got over 10k of 223 brass on my last patch of lizard litter it was taking longer to get the job done so i replaced it. I do use mineral spirits, it seems to help cut the lanolin done and gives it a nice luster to the brass

Thanks guys. I am still acquring brass whenever I can get it, so I have to do a lot of smal batch processing right now to develop some loads. Once that is done my plan is to make brass processing a winter project. One evening per step will take a few days, but it's not like I am doing much else in the winter.