Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taming a .300 Win Mag

9X23Guy

I have a good friend who recently had his shoulder rebuilt and was told by his doc that he can no longer use his heavy recoiling rifles. He is a very active hunter and still wants to be able to take Moose and Elk size animals. I think he can do this by threading his barrel and adding a good comp like a JP tank brake. I cannot think of one that is more effective off the top of my head right now. Other than that what are everyones suggestions and ideas?

Edited by 9X23Guy

Stick with lighter 180gr loads using solid copper bullets like barnes tsx as opposed to 200 or 220gr lead core jacketed loads. They will perform just as well. Shot placement is key no matter what you shoot (plenty of moose have been successfully harvested with a .30-30win or 12ga slug)

A proper fitted stock with a good recoil pad like a decelerator or limb-saver will make the second biggest difference to an efficient muzzle break/compensator.

Also adding more weight to the gun will make the recoil slower and softer. Though depending what kind of hunting your doing, lugging a heavier gun on that shoulder might make the overall situation worse. But is really simple to make a gun heavy. A heavier contour barrel, heavier stock.

Maybe consider finding a stock that puts the axis of the barrel higher so the gun rocks back during recoil rather than coming straight back. Bell and Carlson medalist is a good platform.

And saving the best for last, dun dun dun.... Consider going semi-auto. The action moves first taking out its weight in momentum then the rifle moves back and as the rifle is moving back the action is moving forward to it smacks... Thus making the recoil in your shoulder a whole lot softer... The Benelli R1 Platform is available in 300 and 338 win mag. If you have super awesome cash RND makes AR type platforms in every magnum cartridge including 338 lapua, and there is always the Noreen BA 338lapua which I'll consider softer recoiling than my old Remington 700 .300win mag any day.

Browning BAR in 300 win mag is a semi-auto I use. The comp does not work really well for hunting, but is a last resort for me. The other thing I have to do is go lefty on rifle sometimes. None of it is easy, but it has been about 7 years for me and is working out ok.

I have owned both .300 win magnum and .300 Win Short Magnums, both in the Browniong A Bolt rifles. The short Mag was definitly more pleasant to shoot, especially with teh 150 grain TTSX solid copper bullets. I bought the WSM with a BOSS already installed and the reciol was pereptebl;y less with it. But man was it LOUD! I finally removed the BOSS and installed a thread protector. I still perceived the recoil as less than teh .300 Mag byt it did not require double plugging while hunting. I gave some thoughts to threading on a suppressor but never did "pull the trigger."

Eric, what kind of accuracy are you getting. I assume you have a BAR.

Nope, Browning A-Bolt. 150 grain SMK handload for practice, Win 760 powder, 64.5 gr starting load from manual. 1" group at 100 no problem.

Federal Premium 180 gr Barnes MRX factory load at 3100 fps for elk. Wonderful bullet. Penetrates very well on elk but still puts mule deer down quickly. Accurate at 3100 fps for me (2" at 200yds) but not at slower velocity. I have a stash of the older factory loads which were loaded hotter, more recent lots just 3040-3050 fps and less accurate. I don't think they load this one any more.

Never had a chance to shoot a BAR but I understand they are very nice.

I have a brother in Soldotna and hope to hunt in Alaska someday. Lucky you living there!

Eric

A couple years ago my dad swapped right hand for left handed stuff due to shoulder injury. I'm left handed and have some wrong sided firearms. To him, pistols were easy, the rifle took some time. He made the swap with both to gain better hand-eye coordination. Best thing he did was shoot small bore rifle until he was comfortable for the heavy stuff, Not something easy, but it worked. Hope this helps.