Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which brand lubrication are you using ?

cecil

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually a topic that frustrates me. I am an automotive guy and an instructor. Lubricants are a big deal. Not everything is the same. In my field it can be difficult but we can get some information on the makeup of oils because they are subject to testing and rating. I actually get a kick out of the fact that so many are using automotive oils on guns and the choices.

Here is some food for thought. Generally the feeling is that synthetics are better than Dino oil. That CAN be true. The reality especially in the US is that it may not be a big a difference as many think. Many of the common oils that are sold in the US as synthetic cannot be labeled as such in other areas of the world. The term synthetic is like the term weed eater. WeedEater is a brand of string trimmer that is well known but I actually have an Echo. (example)

Many synthetics are really just some level of base stock Dino oil with modifiers in it. In terms of performance they may not be much different from high end base stock oils. The real high performance synthetics are more costly per quart and they also show why in performance. I use none of the typical brands of oil in my engines. The stuff I use has much higher flash points and wear properties and the tests are there to show it.

Where am I going with this? I am really peeved that the market is full of bottles of magic with no data or standards of performance. I am peeved that arms manufacturers are so unwilling to come up with performance specification for their products so we can pick a lube that meets them. Some of the stuff we run is as expensive as an engine or a transmission and we are left in the dark about our best options. What properties am I looking for in a lubricant based on the type of action and the materials and tolerances used? We do not have oil pumps on these things (not what I own anyway.....) so will those types of lubes really protect and perform? What will get me the equivalent of the 350K miles I should expect out of a good engine design with proper lubrication? Are ester based synthetics as good on my firearms as they are in my engine? I guess I have to accept that I will never have scientific answers to these questions so like so many here I will make choices based on the best information I can find (not much). That makes it so clear why we have so many threads like this to read. They do go well with a nice beverage though.

BTW, I have had liked the overall performance of a product I have did not see mentioned here yet on some systems. FireClean. I just wish I knew what was in it.........like many of the other choices.

Wow, that really seems like a rant. Apologies. :blush:

Meh, lubricants used/not used is a BIG topic for many apps: guns, bikes, cars....and on. No apologies needed.

Buddy of mine and I who ride moto together, both of us ex-bike racers, LOVE to talk oil and a certain european motorcycle company: if you do not use BMW's $13 a qt. synthetic motorcycle oil your warranty will be voided. The "oil wars" we called it, as Bike Techies from Argentina, to Chicago, to Munich debated which SJ-4 or 5 oil you COULD use, and which you could NOT use, gear lubes specs, blah, blah....

One summer we took a tour up into Canuck-land. Beautiful fun. Stopped in a Yamaha/ Ducati/ BMW dealer "Wildwood", where they have the most excellent collection of restored Ducati singles. Just fantastic. We broke the seal on the "oil wars" debate, and in typical Canadian style they shut us down immediately: "We put Yamalube in EVERYTHING."?!? WHAT?! Holy smokes, we then got the inside scoop on what was essentially a pissing match between BMW N. Amer. and Europe. Oh great fun. The canadians blew our minds once again.

I buy synthetics in 2.5 gallon jugs for our diesels, synthetic greases and gear lubes from one manufacturer. I don't think it would matter what a gun company said about which lube is "recommended", and I'd hate to see them go the BMW route of voiding warranties with non-compliance. It's taken years and years of long OTR driving rigs to race tracks in the middle of nowhere to find good stuff, that has never failed in the truck or any of the bikes on/off track, and it does not matter what my recommendations are: people will use what they want to use or what is handy.

My batches of a personal gun mixture have been very successful, and getting there with experimentation is part of the great fun and learning curves.

One question for the dessert dwellers: I'd read recently that in the extreme arid dessert that using talc powder in the rails of a completely dry gun, was the only way to run it efficiently? True or false? Not sure if I spelled that for sandbox or a dairy queen treat, but you get the gist...

I like the Wilson red stuff Ultima-Lube, it's a little thick but It fine in the south. It reminds me of the Amsoil synthetic 2stroke oil i used to used back in the day. Smells like it to. Hummmm. Lol.

2011's, run em WET.

Edited by a matt

This is actually a topic that frustrates me. I am an automotive guy and an instructor. Lubricants are a big deal. Not everything is the same. In my field it can be difficult but we can get some information on the makeup of oils because they are subject to testing and rating. I actually get a kick out of the fact that so many are using automotive oils on guns and the choices.

Here is some food for thought. Generally the feeling is that synthetics are better than Dino oil. That CAN be true. The reality especially in the US is that it may not be a big a difference as many think. Many of the common oils that are sold in the US as synthetic cannot be labeled as such in other areas of the world. The term synthetic is like the term weed eater. WeedEater is a brand of string trimmer that is well known but I actually have an Echo. (example)

Many synthetics are really just some level of base stock Dino oil with modifiers in it. In terms of performance they may not be much different from high end base stock oils. The real high performance synthetics are more costly per quart and they also show why in performance. I use none of the typical brands of oil in my engines. The stuff I use has much higher flash points and wear properties and the tests are there to show it.

Where am I going with this? I am really peeved that the market is full of bottles of magic with no data or standards of performance. I am peeved that arms manufacturers are so unwilling to come up with performance specification for their products so we can pick a lube that meets them. Some of the stuff we run is as expensive as an engine or a transmission and we are left in the dark about our best options. What properties am I looking for in a lubricant based on the type of action and the materials and tolerances used? We do not have oil pumps on these things (not what I own anyway.....) so will those types of lubes really protect and perform? What will get me the equivalent of the 350K miles I should expect out of a good engine design with proper lubrication? Are ester based synthetics as good on my firearms as they are in my engine? I guess I have to accept that I will never have scientific answers to these questions so like so many here I will make choices based on the best information I can find (not much). That makes it so clear why we have so many threads like this to read. They do go well with a nice beverage though.

BTW, I have had liked the overall performance of a product I have did not see mentioned here yet on some systems. FireClean. I just wish I knew what was in it.........like many of the other choices.

The only way I know how to get that 350,000 mile mark in autos and guns is keep em tuned up and change the oil. IMHO.

• 1 month later...

Been there done that with frog lube. It becomes a thick paste when not heated and combined with carbon, dirt, etc it slowed down my slide considerably causing failures since it was in my slide rails. Went back to breakfree clp lube and no problems since then no matter what temperature it is. Plus heating the gun to apply froglube was an added step that got old real quick. My wife and her blow dryer appreciate the change also.

I always used Wilson ultima-lube. When they changed it I wasn't happy. I have now gone to Sentry Solution products. All there lubes are molly based and oil free. I paint every thing with smooth cote inside the slide and top of frame. There high slip grease on barrel bushing, locking lugs and accu-rails. Tuff glide on everything else and wipe outside down with the tough cloth. To clean it just takes a dry patch to wipe down. No solvents are even needed. The grease is some of the slickest stuff I've ever seen. Might want to give there web page a look see.