Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA DQ - 180 rule

spmat

I was DQ'd from a match I shot last year. Prior to shooting the match, I had been absent a few months due to work out of town. Prior to coming up as a shooter, I had been keeping score for other shooters. It was run, run, run, calling shooter's names and keeping score. Unlike most stages that I was accustomed to moving forward and shooting towards the targets away from the other shooters waiting to shoot. This stage had us starting close to the targets at the far end of the bay next to the mound, moving left and coming back. As I started the string, I was shooting right to left, and as I turned to come back towards the rear of the stage, I turned the wrong way and fanned the shooters. I was immediately disqualified and finished for the day. I can't tell you how horrible I felt for having made this mistake. A couple of the guys came up and discussed what had happened and told me not to get too discouraged. They both shared their stories of being disqualified in the past.

I guess a DQ could happen to even the best shooters. Best Advice - 1. Completely understand the stage you are shooting before you shoot. 2) Take some time to watch the other shooters shooting ahead of you and 3) Keep that muzzle down range. 4) Try and make sure that stages are setup to prevent this from occurring.

It has taken me almost a year to get over what happened and return to the matches. I do plan on returning soon; however, with a greater respect and understanding of safety issues.

Stages like that always slow me down, I just hate having to travel backwards. Most of the matches I have been to the RO for that type stage really harps on watching your 180. Knock on wood I haven't been DQ'd yet, but I know my time will come. I just hope it's not this weekend, first match of the season for me.

For me I work a mental program every single time the same way, over and over again until I am up. I start when I am "in the hole". I drop the pasters, double plug and step away from everyone so I cant be interrupted. I "watch" video after video of me running the stage the way I want to. Don't be afraid to hand off the work sooner, it will work for you too.

For the record IDPA doesn't have a 180 rule. They have muzzle safe points. I saw a guy argue a DQ once because IDPA doesn't have a 180 rule and Muzzle Safe Points weren't listed on the COF nor stated by the SO. Was a spirited 3 min debate but sweeping yourself or anyone else is always a DQ.