Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon .223 Die set - Carbide or standard?

I just ordered a standard Dillon die set for .223 last week. I ordered the standard over the carbide based on the life of the dies(# of cartridges loaded) being within my expected use as to not justify the carbide cost. I had also read that it is beneficial to lube cases no matter what die set used so again I thought the standard dies would be best for me based on cost.

Being a beginner, was this the right decision or should I have opted for the carbide? I'm having second thoughts. Any input is appreciated.

Mike

I bought the carbide and am happy with the decision. I do not add any sizing lube and have had no issues.

Do NOT follow this advice. ALWAYS lube neckdown cases. You will have a stuck case very quickly if you don't, and sometimes you might even if you do.

I don't use carbide for .223 and I have no regrets. I am very happy with my steel Dillon die. I was not so happy with my previous Hornady sizing dies--nothing but problems.

I bought the carbide and am happy with the decision. I do not add any sizing lube and have had no issues.

Do NOT follow this advice. ALWAYS lube neckdown cases. You will have a stuck case very quickly if you don't, and sometimes you might even if you do.

I don't use carbide for .223 and I have no regrets. I am very happy with my steel Dillon die. I was not so happy with my previous Hornady sizing dies--nothing but problems.

Excellent advice! The key word used above is: ALWAYS. Never leave home without it. Stuck cases are a bummer and spoil your whole day. The Dillon lube has worked well on rifle cases and the one shot has been good on the pistol. Case lubes are a popular subject on this forum. I use both steel and carbide dies. Take your time and have fun.

Dog

I've been doing some reading on 223/5.56 reloading as of late as I've considered I may start loading that on my 650.

From all I've read there would be little reason for me to go with carbide given one will need to lube anyway.

I do not see myself loading enough to justify (to me) the extra cost.

Besides, I've been blowing money like a fish blowing bubbles for the past 4 months, thanks to Obama and Feinstein ,et al.

I grow weary.