Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want to see your stage designs!

kita

I design with sketchup as well. I think it is not the easiest to use but the grid and the ability to actually stand at a point and look at the target arrays or determine shoot throughs or see if there are other targets visible makes it great. I usually start with paper and pencil for the concept then move to sketchup. Another option is stage builder, a good assortment of props to design with I do as others capture a screen shot and put that into a word file for the stage description and score sheet. Here is my latest stage.

7-8s_zpscc946b1e.png

Looks like a fun stage! There's a hard lean in it if I'm looking at it correctly. That would be a tough one for the lefties.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my very first attempt at stage design. No clue what I'm doing, obviously.

Use what is at your disposal. Looks fun and practical. Although the fact that your butt seems to be the focal point in the end of the video isn't lost on me. Female + gun = youtube superstar.

Edited by MiniUzi

This was my very first attempt at stage design. No clue what I'm doing, obviously.

Use what is at your disposal. Looks fun and practical. Although the fact that your butt seems to be the focal point in the end of the video isn't lost on me. Female + gun = youtube superstar.

You must take into consideration that Ben Stoeger was the camera man.

I like this one a lot! How do you come up with your ideas?

Here is one of my designs. If you want the 3D model, let me know and I can email it to you. Sketchup is awesome, but still limited. It is difficult to always get the proper view to ensure that there is no shoot through. Every stage I have designed ha needed some sort of tweaking when on the ground. The grid system give a very good reference to get things close though.

post-34623-0-63616300-1362436529_thumb.j

Thanks. It went over very well at the club match it was designed for.

I watch a lot of match videos and try and replicate portions of stages I like. Or I have a skill that I am trying to test and design the stage around that. My very unique ideas come when I am sketching during meetings I am supposed to be paying attention to, but am thinking about shooting instead.

I like this one a lot! How do you come up with your ideas?

Here is one of my designs. If you want the 3D model, let me know and I can email it to you. Sketchup is awesome, but still limited. It is difficult to always get the proper view to ensure that there is no shoot through. Every stage I have designed ha needed some sort of tweaking when on the ground. The grid system give a very good reference to get things close though.

post-34623-0-63616300-1362436529_thumb.j

Thanks. It went over very well at the club match it was designed for.

I watch a lot of match videos and try and replicate portions of stages I like. Or I have a skill that I am trying to test and design the stage around that. My very unique ideas come when I am sketching during meetings I am supposed to be paying attention to, but am thinking about shooting instead.

Ah, I've seen that distant look from shooters many times...driving, sitting in a restaurant, waiting in line, sitting in a meeting! It's worse than a new girlfriend, except it never really gets old seeing as there is always more to discover.

Bill, That's about as easy as I have seen!
It's like shopping. I'll take a door, and a drop turner...ooh and some hard cover over here... That's pretty sweet!

Let the guy know you like it. His main page is http://www.gunracer.com/ He was going to let stagebuilder lapse. He told me he would keep it up a little longer.

Edited by Bill Nesbitt

I design with sketchup as well. I think it is not the easiest to use but the grid and the ability to actually stand at a point and look at the target arrays or determine shoot throughs or see if there are other targets visible makes it great. I usually start with paper and pencil for the concept then move to sketchup. Another option is stage builder, a good assortment of props to design with I do as others capture a screen shot and put that into a word file for the stage description and score sheet. Here is my latest stage.

7-8s_zpscc946b1e.png

Looks like a fun stage! There's a hard lean in it if I'm looking at it correctly. That would be a tough one for the lefties.

Lefties get one back on the back left side, hard around for the righties. Sometimes I will create a mirror stage with the idea that what will be easy for right handed will be hard for left, flop it around on the other side hard for righties.

7-8s_zpscc946b1e.png

Lefties get one back on the back left side, hard around for the righties. Sometimes I will create a mirror stage with the idea that what will be easy for right handed will be hard for left, flop it around on the other side hard for righties.

Ah, I see it.

Kita,

If you want to see stages, there are lots..here and everywhere. I first printed off Jeff Maass' stages (some of them aren't legal now, but still good to farm ideas). Nearly every major match, past and present, will have a web page with the stages posted. That can be a good library.

Jeff's page ... http://www.k8nd.com/

I usually use a MS Word doc to design stages. Open a page with the template, then open another that has props that you can copy/paste in.

I do like the idea of sketchup. You can put in the measurements for your local range/bays...and even build YOUR clubs props and put them in there.

I do like the idea of sketchup. You can put in the measurements for your local range/bays...and even build YOUR clubs props and put them in there.

That's what I do now Flex...I have a template with 8 layers...layer 0 for props, layer 1 for the grid, and layers 2-7 (called Bay 1, bay 2, etc) with yellow fault lines laid out which are the dimensions of my bays. To start stage design, I pick a layer 2-7 and turn it on, then drag and drop props from layer 0 and place them where I need. After I get the stage laid out, I view from above, select all the objects, and convert them to the layer of that bay. When I'm done, I export the drawing to a 2D JPG file for use in powerpoint WSB file. Then I turn off that layer and begin a new one for the remaining bays. Using layers you can turn on and off each bay at will.

That's what I do now Flex...I have a template with 8 layers...layer 0 for props, layer 1 for the grid, and layers 2-7 (called Bay 1, bay 2, etc) with yellow fault lines laid out which are the dimensions of my bays. To start stage design, I pick a layer 2-7 and turn it on, then drag and drop props from layer 0 and place them where I need. After I get the stage laid out, I view from above, select all the objects, and convert them to the layer of that bay. When I'm done, I export the drawing to a 2D JPG file for use in powerpoint WSB file. Then I turn off that layer and begin a new one for the remaining bays. Using layers you can turn on and off each bay at will.

I just created a base template for each bay. Seemed easier to open a file named Bay1-8, rename the file and start designing. That way I don't have to deal with layers. I also have a file to house all my props.

What is the best way to remove the "A" zone from one of the targets in the Sketchup template?

To create a window like in Kitas real stage.

Use the "Push/Pull" tool to push the "A" zone through the target.

What is the best way to remove the "A" zone from one of the targets in the Sketchup template?

To create a window like in Kitas real stage.

Use the "Push/Pull" tool to push the "A" zone through the target.

Not working for me. If I draw a rectangle around the A, I can push that shape through the target, but it does not result in a window.

Kita,

If you want to see stages, there are lots..here and everywhere. I first printed off Jeff Maass' stages (some of them aren't legal now, but still good to farm ideas). Nearly every major match, past and present, will have a web page with the stages posted. That can be a good library.

I usually use a MS Word doc to design stages. Open a page with the template, then open another that has props that you can copy/paste in.

What are some of the basic things you need to keep in mind when designing a stage? What are some rules that you have to watch out not to break in stage design, for example?

Not working for me. If I draw a rectangle around the A, I can push that shape through the target, but it does not result in a window.

Does the model you are using have a 3D or 2D target? If it's 2D just select the A zone and hit delete. If it's 3D you need to push the A zone so that it's even with the back of the target. Do you have a link to the template you are using?

Does the model you are using have a 3D or 2D target? If it's 2D just select the A zone and hit delete. If it's 3D you need to push the A zone so that it's even with the back of the target. Do you have a link to the template you are using?

It is the one referenced by Mark R earlier in this thread.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=647f9766d975024cb68ea726c22699a&prevstart=12

It is the one referenced by Mark R earlier in this thread.

http://sketchup.goog...9a&prevstart=12

Got it. Push/Pull tool works for me. You do need to open the group to modify it. Go to the Edit Menu, Group, Edit Group. I had to go several groups in to get to the target. Then push the A zone in and delete the A and the X from the back of the target.

Kita,

What are some of the basic things you need to keep in mind when designing a stage? What are some rules that you have to watch out not to break in stage design, for example?

Safety. Besides the obvious -- no 180 traps, no possibility of running up close to a steel target -- consider the placement of a no-shoot that a competitor can move past: If the competitor is able to see the backside of the no-shoot (brown or normal target side) make sure you use two targets, so it looks white from both sides. Don't want a shooter getting confused.....

I tend to draw crudely, and then tweak extensively during the actual set-up on the range. Get a master class shooter (gee, where might you find one? :) ) and an experienced RO or MD to walk the stage. Ask the master to game the stage, and point out where the competitive holes are. Ask everyone where they see potential safety concerns. Fix the safety concerns -- and maybe the holes, though its sometimes beneficial to watch someone drive a truck through the various holes in a stage, when you're trying to get the hang of it....

Beyond that options are good, so people can shoot it different ways....

You might want to check out this thread...my posts start at #26 for the design templates I use in Word and Powerpoint.

http://www.brianenos...showtopic=94906

And here are some that I did last month:

LIVE From El Diablo.DOC

http://www.youtube.c...ed/ON5SuOkYZSs

(how it looked on the ground and yes, I sucked.)

Only You Would Be So Bold....DOC

11 IPSC-STL-NO SHOOT Zig Zag v3 - Comstock.DOC

13 IPSC-STL-NO SHOOT Back Up And Hit It II - Comstock.DOC (mirror image of a stage from The 2012 Open/L-10 Nationals.

So far I have not tried SketchUp as I'm sort of attached to the stuff I have in my templates. I also figure that close enough on the stage diagram is good since stages always need tweaking when you put them on the ground.

Edited by gino_aki