Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cast bullets in XDm

WidowsSon683

So im considering using cast bullets for my loads for my 5.25 40s&w. Has anybody shot cast bullets out of theirs and what if any are the problems youve come across. Im going to be shooting a 180g bullet not sure on OAL still have to work that up and the powder charge for major PF.

I've loaded cast lead in my 5.25 .45acp. No problems I've found other than the smoke. I prefer plated from that respect. Currently going to load up some moly-coated and give them a whirl as well. But hard-cast lead, no problems.

I'm running hard cast 175 gr. in my XDm 4.5 .40. Tumble lubed, 3 grains regular Clays, CCI spp, at 1.125 OAL. No problems so far, and can probably drop some charge. Getting 144 PF right now. In my pistol, I cannot go longer. I have read elsewhere that higher velocities may contribute to leading, but cannot personally speak to that. If you are going to load minor, a lighter recoil spring may be in order.

Hope this helps,

B

I have shot nothing but cast 180s over titegroup from my 5.25 .40, I'm around the 150 pf with 3.6gr TG, OAL 1.125 and I have yet to notice any leading. pushing 2k rds. The only problem is the amazing amount of smoke which isnt really an issue unless I am shooting in my car or bedroom.

• 2 weeks later...

I've run a few thousand cast through my xdm .40 4.5. Both bought and cast myself.

My barrel slugged right at .400". My home cast dropped at .401-.402". I would always get a little leading in all cast loads using a variety of powder. Not enough to degrade accuracy or cause concern. I just don't know how some people get no leading at all. I ran them at major pf.

I can't think of any issues you might run into.

• 2 weeks later...

My .40 5.25 has seen nothing but 180 grain TCL over 3.5 grains of Titegroup. I use it in Production USPSA & 3-Gun (with extended mags). Yes this load is mild, but shoots accurately and slaps steel fine. I only rarely notice the smoke, the vast majority of the time it is a non-issue. I have some plated bullets (bought cheap on close out a good while back) loaded major and will campaign Limited class later this year with them in the 5.25, as soon as I get classified in Single Stack. For Limited I will add a magazine well and the extensions I have already been running in 3-Gun.