Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poorly loaded Bayou

njl

I happened to run into someone at the range about a week ago who was shooting steel, and since our range forbids jacketed ammo on steel, I was curious to find out what he was using. Turns out he uses jacketed for most of his ammo, but for the steel, he uses Bayou. These were 115gr 9mm. Though I'd never seen them in person, I recognized them as Bayou and asked him about them. He told me a local commercial reloader I'd never heard of loads all his ammo. He gave me one for examination.

At first glance, I was pretty sure it was overcrimped. It almost looked like it had a roll crimp rather than taper. I finally just got around to a detailed examination.

Bullet weight: 115.7gr

COAL: 1.0855"

Crimp: 0.369"

Bullet base diameter: 0.356"

Bullet crimp ring: 0.346"

Brass neck thickness: 0.011

Powder charge: 4.4gr unknown "metallic flake" powder

There was a pronounced overcrimp ring around the bullet forward of the lube groove. The bottom of the bullet was 0.356" and forward of the crimp ring, it was again 0.356".

I wish I'd gotten the guy's contact info now, so I could tell him to complain to his reloader.

Are Bayou's standing up on end when they go through the baking/drying process after coating? i.e. is the coating on the base always "messed up"? This one looks like the coating on the bottom was torn away, as if it was left behind on whatever the bullet was resting on when baked.

I can't comment on the process involved in applying the coating, but as I recall all the Bayou Bullets I used were evenly coated all around the bullet as well as the bottom. I just went to look at any of the bullets I might have laying around, and realized that they are all loaded in finished ammunition. I'm sure I would have noticed the coating missing from the bottom of the bullets. All I know is that they work very well for me. No problems what so ever.

All of the bayou's in any caliber I have ever seen or used were coated all the way around. I would say to call Donnie at Bayou and ask him.

I would also be wondering if said "commercial reloader" was really licensed.

Edited by Classic_jon

A google search for what I thought was the name comes up as a local FFL in Cheaper than Dirt's FFL database. So, they at least appear to have some level of FFL. I found their web site, and they really look like a scary place to deal with.

Maybe the local reloader bought the coating and applied it poorly?

The Bayous I've seen were evenly coated, base and all.

Unrelated but I've started seeing shops selling ziploc baggies of "remanufactured" ammo that was clearly not someones best work.

I've loaded over 10,000 bayous and the bottoms were always coated. Donnie does sell the coating seperately so it's possible that someone bought some and it applied it in a less than optimal fashion.

I have loaded Bayou bullets in 9mm and 45 ACP. I have two open boxes of each size. I could not remember seeing any problem with the coating on the bottom of the bullets so I went and looked. I examined about 25 bullets from each box and could not find a bullet with any difference in the coating from top to bottom. All of the bullets had an even coating all of the way around. I think under the circunstances I would question whether those are really Bayou bullets.

don't judge the quality of these bullets through another persons reloads,and not very good reloader at that,I have bought 1000's and they all are very good quality and price.

I'm definitely not blaming Bayou for what was clearly badly commercially reloaded ammo. Having seen their bullets first hand now, I'd probably order some to try if they were taking orders. Last I looked, I don't think they were.