Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long do primers last?

mdschappell

Best let me buy those from you at the 1990's prices. Just to be safe. I'll take the risk for you.

I am still using primers from 1978 or so. Prices on the CCI boxes I had were 5 to 7 bucks a K.

Small and large pistol and large rifle CCIj. They work fine. I'm using them up rapidly though , in fact all my large pistol ones

from that era were recently consumed. I had to restock with 10k at absurd prices (29 to 35 a K). 5K small pistol I picked up too.

Still have 3000 Large Rifle from 70's , CCI too. I recently picked up a 308 Ruger Scout (yesterday in fact) and will start loading for it. Also a ancient

Mosin Nagant 1935 model my now deceased old man had bought for 10 dollars back in 1963. Inflation and all...

So I'll start using those primers. No need to panic for me on Large rifle just yet though I may just buy 5k for just in case since

I"m sure the price will just get worse.

Oh, and I still am using powders from late 70's. They still go bang.

Some of it was in cardboard like packaging that Hercules used to use now called Alliant. Some still have price stickers. One was 3 bucks and c hange for a lb . Others 4 to 5 bucks a LB.

Want some old 22 shorts ? I got 1000 of em in bricks dating from the 1960's and I suspect one brick might be from late 1950's.

They still go bang.

I'm only 57 years old I just had bought more than I had use for in the 70's during my crazy 20's.

But, that stuff you bought in the 90s might not be as good as that 70's stuff. Best let me handle it.

Edited by Buzi

I've used both powder and primers from the early 90's that have been rattling around in my garage. I have never seen any differences from new stuff. I did test the heck out of them before I trusted them though.

Speaking of primers...anyone know what's the difference in Federal's regular primers and their "match" primers?

More experienced workers are handling the match primers vs new workers. That's the info I got. From what I can see/tell the SD at the chrono with match is less than the std. Federal primers.

Edited by a matt

Speaking of primers...anyone know what's the difference in Federal's regular primers and their "match" primers?

More experienced workers are handling the match primers vs new workers. That's the info I got. From what I can see/tell the SD at the chrono with match is less than the std. Federal primers.

Hmmm...thanks for info. SD? Standard Deviation? I didn't think primers would influence the velocity that much. This experienced workers.vs new workers makes feel like I should expect a dud every now and then in the standard primers lol.

Best let me buy those from you at the 1990's prices. Just to be safe. I'll take the risk for you.

I am still using primers from 1978 or so. Prices on the CCI boxes I had were 5 to 7 bucks a K.

Small and large pistol and large rifle CCIj. They work fine. I'm using them up rapidly though , in fact all my large pistol ones

from that era were recently consumed. I had to restock with 10k at absurd prices (29 to 35 a K). 5K small pistol I picked up too.

Still have 3000 Large Rifle from 70's , CCI too. I recently picked up a 308 Ruger Scout (yesterday in fact) and will start loading for it. Also a ancient

Mosin Nagant 1935 model my now deceased old man had bought for 10 dollars back in 1963. Inflation and all...

So I'll start using those primers. No need to panic for me on Large rifle just yet though I may just buy 5k for just in case since

I"m sure the price will just get worse.

Oh, and I still am using powders from late 70's. They still go bang.

Some of it was in cardboard like packaging that Hercules used to use now called Alliant. Some still have price stickers. One was 3 bucks and c hange for a lb . Others 4 to 5 bucks a LB.

Want some old 22 shorts ? I got 1000 of em in bricks dating from the 1960's and I suspect one brick might be from late 1950's.

They still go bang.

I'm only 57 years old I just had bought more than I had use for in the 70's during my crazy 20's.

But, that stuff you bought in the 90s might not be as good as that 70's stuff. Best let me handle it.

I am interested in the 22 short ammo. I like to collect old boxes. Shoot me a PM if you still have them.

Edited by 21 shooter