Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the point of 140mm magazines?

Foxbat

I reload to the 170's better... I guess to each their own. I seem to pinch my pinky on the 140's about 10% of the time and that is enough to make me think about it. (unloaded) Table starts I would think that a 170 would be better if only because there is much more room for error. More space on the bottom to grab and still be able to shove it into the gun without readjusting your grip on the mag.

Edited by ctay

Don't really have a problem loading 170mm mags from the belt, but can reload 140mm mags faster. For anything but the carnival stages all you need is one 170mm and a few 140mm mags. It is just a personal choice.

Just a little sidenote here - Personally, I remember when the 170mm mags came into the game and wasn't a fan of the decision. So, sometimes I wonder why we have 170mm mags. :sight:

IIIRC, the original idea was to allow 170mm singlestack guns compete against double stacks back when they started showing up. However, the way the rule was written, it never limited the longer 170mm to just singlestack mags so of course folks started making 170mm doublestack mags...making mag changes all but extinct in Open and rarer in Limited.

^^^

Yep, that was the initial intent. I believe Open should have had the same mag restrictions as Limited has now. I’ve heard various reasons/theories why 170mm was approved for both single and double stack, but don’t know what the real back story is.

I pretty much stopped using 140mm mags... seems everything they can do, the 170mm ones can do, and often better. They fall out faster and more reliably, and for quick reload (during the classifiers) I get it faster with longer mags - easier to grip and less chance of jamming the finger against the magwell.

So what's the point?

I use the 170 most of the time except where its not needed on short round count stages and classifiers with a mandatory reload.

Pat

I usually start out with a 170mm 29 + 1 unless the course requires otherwise (best place for a mag change). I have never tried reloading with a 170mm (never shot a course requiring the use of another 170mm) nor would I start with a 140mm & then try reloading with a 170mm. Normally I use 140mm mags with 24 rounds reloadable. In my limited experience I find little use for the 170mm. I do have (5) 140mm & (2) 170mm mags. Nice to have a couple of extra mags should problems develop.

• 1 month later...

Its easier for me to reload a 140mm then it is to reload a 170. I find that its a little quicker to draw with a 140 vs. a 170 so I use those for short stages and classifiers. Plus the Democratic Republik Of Hawaii is a 10 rnd state so 170s dont make sense, though I've seen some guys using only 170s loaded to 10 rounds....

^^^

Yep, that was the initial intent. I believe Open should have had the same mag restrictions as Limited has now. I’ve heard various reasons/theories why 170mm was approved for both single and double stack, but don’t know what the real back story is.

Heresy. Open is Open. Why in the world would you limit mag capacity. That's one of the great things about Open, its how you can best mechanically solve the problem. And it's equal for everyone. 140mm for Open, that's just crazy talk.

^^^

Heresy. Open is Open. Why in the world would you limit mag capacity. That's one of the great things about Open, its how you can best mechanically solve the problem. And it's equal for everyone. 140mm for Open, that's just crazy talk.

Funny I tell people all the time. Why do you have a 28 rd mag? Cause they won't let use a 75.

I pretty much stopped using 140mm mags... seems everything they can do, the 170mm ones can do, and often better. They fall out faster and more reliably, and for quick reload (during the classifiers) I get it faster with longer mags - easier to grip and less chance of jamming the finger against the magwell.

So what's the point?

same here. I only use 170mm mags. I have three at any one time.

For me I used think I couldn't reload with my 170's faster until I started using my 170's exclusively. Now I'm better with my 170's and the only time I use a 140 is on some classifiers that have a mandatory reload.

I used to think I couldn't shoot the Texas Star or Polish plate rack until I got past that. Now I like reloading to my big sticks, I like shooting stars and polish plate racks.

Funny how "I can't" is a self fulfilling prophesy.

Iim more of a fan of carrying on big stick and two 140's. For me it depends on the setup of the stage. If I find the reload point to be earlier i will reload to a bigstick. Vice versa for a reload point later in the stage

if the stage is 31 rounds or more, I use 2 140's and have the bigstick in the back pocket just in case (but have a 3rd 140 on my belt). If I blow the reload or shoot more than 44 rounds out of 2 140's on that stage...there's is a problem. LOL!

The 140 mm mag is a testimate to reliability, I've been using 4 140 mm plain STI mags with the original STI guts for 5 years, never changed the springs nada just clean them every time they hit the dirt. They hold 21 but they just run and run. I have a couple of SVI 140's with the Dawson +2's that hold 24 as well as 3 of the hoker 170's at 29 rd, to keep them running I have to change the springs every 6 months or so.

On a high round count stage I start with one of those reliable 140's so it goes in the dirt and muk and finish with the 170, so it don't go dropping to the ground getting full of crap and hitting a rock and bending the lips.

I show up with 9 mags loaded and shoot the normal 5 stage match without having to reload a mag or clean a mag, shooting 9 major no need to pick up brass, makes for an enjoyable match. Just shoot a little tape a lot.

I put all of these mags in a tumbler for several hours a couple of times a year to get the inside nice an clean and slick, and you can notice the difference when loading them.

Faster reloads, less weight on my belt. When I use 4 170mm mags (one in the gun, 3 on the belt) and I have to really explode out of a position it feels like I move then my mags move. Stopping is the same, I stop my mags want to keep on going. I use 140's because they're faster to reload and 3 170's on my belt feels like I'm carrying two extra guns!!! :)

Don't really have a problem loading 170mm mags from the belt, but can reload 140mm mags faster. For anything but the carnival stages all you need is one 170mm and a few 140mm mags. It is just a personal choice.

Just a little sidenote here - Personally, I remember when the 170mm mags came into the game and wasn't a fan of the decision. So, sometimes I wonder why we have 170mm mags. :sight:

Yes.

I put all of these mags in a tumbler for several hours a couple of times a year to get the inside nice an clean and slick, and you can notice the difference when loading them.

Interesting.. I may have to try that with my glock mags.. My 170 runs great but couldnt hurt to polish up the inside.. I'll try it on an old mag first..