Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the point of 140mm magazines?

Foxbat

I pretty much stopped using 140mm mags... seems everything they can do, the 170mm ones can do, and often better. They fall out faster and more reliably, and for quick reload (during the classifiers) I get it faster with longer mags - easier to grip and less chance of jamming the finger against the magwell.

So what's the point?

Availability and cost. I agree with you, why not just go all out with 170mm magazines.

The price each compared to a 140mm might not be all that much more but consider buying 4 to 6 at once and it adds up. Especially when you still have to put money into tuning them. Alot of people piece their stuff together, so they might buy one big stick and two smaller ones to get them thru, but then realize they really don't need much more.

Considering a long course is 32 rounds, a shooter could most likely do anything with x1 170mm magazine and x1 140mm. Maybe a single additional 140mm backup mag on the belt to barney bullet out of and in case of a malfunction which requires the unexpended 2nd mag, or if they just have a really bad day on a Texas Star or Polish Platerack...

i always try to use my 140mm magazines as much as possible when shooting a stage, i mostly use my 170 mm in a medium course so i do'n have to change mags, in a longcourse you can do just fine with 2 140mm magazines most of the time you have time enough for your mag change in a longcourse, and in a short course where time sometimes becomes more important than points i want my gun out of my holster and on target as fast as possible, and therefore i want less weight on my gun (if the gun is lighter you i can do my transitions faster and get it out of my holster quicker)

i also do my mag changes and table starts faster with 140mm mags than with a 170mm mag, and a 140mm with 22 or 23 rounds in it seats easier in the gun than a 170mm topped of with 27 or 28 rounds.

a 170mm mag is a lot longer than a 140mm mag, so it bumps easier against the magwell when doing a reload or a table start, try sticking a rod holding it by the end wich is 1 meter long and 5mm in diameter into a hole wich is 6mm in diameter, and after that try it with a rod wich is 10cm long, see with wich rod it works best.

Some yahoos have $300+ tied up in big sticks that hold one more round than mine do so they can go a few steps further before reloading! :goof: People are hesitant to drop that much money on the ground when they can just use 2 140's. I don't reload 170's well at all.

If I use the big stick it USUALLY is the one I start with as I load the 140s easier. I have started with a 140 and loaded to the big stick on occasion if the layout dictates it ie 3 targets from the get go then a good distance and then a hose fest from then on out. I did load to the 170 this past week as it allowed me to drop the 140 early on dry ground and not reload later where it was total mud

and a 140mm with 22 or 23 rounds in it seats easier in the gun than a 170mm topped of with 27 or 28 rounds.

Yes, but a 170 loaded to 23 seats easier still.

I reload 140's faster. When you down load the 170's, the balance changes from having more weight in your palm to out closer to the feed lips. Probably not much of a difference but I'll go with any advantage (real or perceived.)

In CM 99-21, Mini-mart, my buddy found that the shelf was too crowded using 170's. I don't know if any other classifieds might favor 140's.

Tip for this classifier/ gun is loaded, sitting on shelve below the table, mags on lower shelve too. When you grab your gun with your strong hand grab a mag with your weak hand & set it on the top shelve. It is so much easier to find when reloading it does not take your mind off of the task of shooting A's fast. All you have to do is look down to see the mag you need. IMHO

Don't really have a problem loading 170mm mags from the belt, but can reload 140mm mags faster. For anything but the carnival stages all you need is one 170mm and a few 140mm mags. It is just a personal choice.

Just a little sidenote here - Personally, I remember when the 170mm mags came into the game and wasn't a fan of the decision. So, sometimes I wonder why we have 170mm mags. :sight:

In CM 99-21, Mini-mart, my buddy found that the shelf was too crowded using 170's. I don't know if any other classifieds might favor 140's.

Tip for this classifier/ gun is loaded, sitting on shelve below the table, mags on lower shelve too. When you grab your gun with your strong hand grab a mag with your weak hand & set it on the top shelve. It is so much easier to find when reloading it does not take your mind off of the task of shooting A's fast. All you have to do is look down to see the mag you need. IMHO

If you wanna do this or any classifier at 100% don't add extra motions or actions. I don't think I would do

this ever and I think I did mini mart at 105% last time.

Oh and yes 140 are faster to reload. More reliable too. I guess you could train in 170

but I like to shoot other divisions too.

Edited by BSeevers

I did a training session with Stoeger a while back. It was apparent very quickly that trying to use 170's in a standing speed reload session was not the way to go. I have now added a few 140's and 131's to my range bag and classifier scores have gone up as a result.

I reload a 140 faster than 170, but I use 170 for everything but the classifier

Me too. Reloading to a 170 is just awkward, and unless you are a terrible shot, starting with a 170 and reloading to a 140 will get you through ANY stage in USPSA.

I don't really see a point to having more than 1 170mm mag, (aside from a backup in case your main mag goes down during a match.)

Mini-Mart is NOT about shooting A's fast. It's a speed stage. My best times so far have been 4.81 / 4.82 and neither run was clean (2 or 3 C's respectively with HF's of 11.82 & 12.05) When the HF is that high speed is your friend, and every little move costs you time. Making the reload clean with as little extra movements as possible is the way to go.

As to reloading a big stick, I don't like the balance of 170's. I think they're too awkward and cumbersome, so I reload with 140s. Feels much cleaner, smoother, and easier. And I'd rather not drop a 170 in the mud/gravel if I dont have to. But with that said, my 140s aren't exactly cheap either. But I have more of them so if one breaks or gets damaged I'm less upset.

Hello: I have been using 140mm mags with old Dawson +2's base pads alot. I get a reloadable 24 rounds. The 140mm reload faster for me and the way stages are designed now the 140mm mags are great :cheers: Besides it keeps me in practice for when I shoot Limited. Thanks, Eric